Visual Inspection (bit of help)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you get rid of that annoying noise on there Mate?!
ROTFWL

Im actually waiting for john to get his finger from his rectum to get me the info so i can do him a new site lol

I thought you had a shed full on John? You haven't finished all that already Mate?
i did till yesteday m8. :(

priced on 300 heating and lost it :(

now nothing on .. gulp !!!!!!

back to the drawing board i guess...

now emailing every one and there mother for work hehe .

Recently bought a Nokia 6500s - (I think it is). Great phone with camera and inbuilt flash, that makes all the difference.

Sorry to hear of the 300 loss mate. :_|
something will turn up, i am at the min emailing insurance companies with prices etc and hrly charges with a view to doing the call outs and remedial works etc.

There are no legal rules governing ANY Inspections Or testing.

Scheme providers NICEIC--NAPIT etc. can insist on certain levels of competance if using their logos...Printed Reports etc.....other than that, then no such legal restrictions.

One other point is that the Electrician emoloyed by the Landlord does not have any legal obligation to issue you with a copy of his P.I.R.....his contract is with his client ONLY......but it does no harm to ask him for a copy does it ?

I think your sister as the Tenant should be requesting a copy from the landlord himself...if one doesnt materialise then she should take some legal advice...maybe in the first instance from Citizens Advice etc.

I am a bit late replying to this but I have noted some things that may be relevant.

1. The gas pipe would only warrant an observation, I have seen this so many times in domestics,

Whilst regulations state a minimum distance of 150mm, the gas board would not change it and the electrical supplier would not.

2. This would be a code 2 requires improvement.

3. I would code this 2, because the correct csa of the cable in not connected through its length.

4. This would be a code 2 would require improvement but would suspect this is on the supply side?

5. This would be code 1 (if they are switches) sockets normally have the earth connected via a terminal at the back.

6. This would be a code 2 under the building regulations, or BS7671 if not suitable for the environment ie heat.

7. This would be code 2 or code 1 if earth required for the hood.

8. Code 2

9. Code 2

10. Code 2 some may say code 4 but all cables should be properly identified and red sleeving was used for switch wires.

11. Code 2 (debatable in testing but for visual should always be noted as 2)

12 This would be code 2 whilst OK for previous installations it is now recognised as an affective measure to safety.

There are some definate causes for concern regarding your observations and I would bring in to debate the electricians qualifications if he can see no need to improve obvious faults or observations.

See my crappy drawing

Just another update, i called in this morning, and the neighbour was in, so i got to a bit of work

The 16mm cable is ... conected to the 4mm which is onto the sheeth

then the best part is.

thats the MAIN EARTH next door!

Is that even allowed?

Well got a Result, after a stern chat with the estate agent and the landlord.

Got the following

All issues above are going to be resolved and a new Consumer unit fitting.

all this week. . .

Thanks for the advice guys! when ive got time il clock the "thanks on every one" :D

Thanks for the update.

If the sparky wants to know anything on how to do it correctly point him in this forums directionROTFWL

See my crappy drawingJust another update, i called in this morning, and the neighbour was in, so i got to a bit of work

The 16mm cable is ... conected to the 4mm which is onto the sheeth

then the best part is.

thats the MAIN EARTH next door!

Is that even allowed?
It appears from your drawing that two adjacent properties are being supplied from one supply cable.....not too unusual.

The matter of next doors Main Earth conductor starting out as 4mm

appears a bit dodgy.....How is it actually connected to the sheath ??

Do bear in mind though that the DNOs are a law unto themselves and anything before the meter is not always as we would necessarily prefer !

It appears from your drawing that two adjacent properties are being supplied from one supply cable.....not too unusual.The matter of next doors Main Earth conductor starting out as 4mm

appears a bit dodgy.....How is it actually connected to the sheath ??

Do bear in mind though that the DNOs are a law unto themselves and anything before the meter is not always as we would necessarily prefer !
I did 6 Months on the DNO side fitting. What a crap job it was!!!

I can understand 2 supplies no problem with that, it is the fat of the 16mm to 4mm by a 60amp "chocholate block"

It is connected to the sheath by the clamps they use, mega old and rusty one. with a bolt on it

Green Hornet, i wont be there at the time they have the work done, i cant get down to there's for a while now, although wish i could get i cant.

I did 6 Months on the DNO side fitting. What a crap job it was!!!I can understand 2 supplies no problem with that, it is the fat of the 16mm to 4mm by a 60amp "chocholate block"

It is connected to the sheath by the clamps they use, mega old and rusty one. with a bolt on it

Green Hornet, i wont be there at the time they have the work done, i cant get down to there's for a while now, although wish i could get i cant.
You should have left a talk.electricianforum sticker on the fuse board with instructions to use at once:D

Quick Update the visual did kick the estate agents into gear thank god.

and they arranged for an electrician to come around 2pm today.

Just got off the phone to my sister who passed me to the electrician, who claims i am not legally allowed to issue a visual certificate unless with a registered body, and that all the faults i have noted down (see above) are safe, and the installation does not require any work.

and best one was

"i am a friend of the landlord"
rubbish! the NIC sell visual forms on their website to non members.

rubbish! the NIC sell visual forms on their website to non members.
i told him this... but he was having non of it.

they have agreed to do all the work now any way, just waiting for them to resolve it, but my sister is putting a lot of pressure onto the letting agency and said

sort it or i leave.

As now the report is saying its "unsafe so to speak" they can leave the premises, and go else where without paying anything.

A visual inspection, can take what ever form you like.

The Godfather would hope that it would at least contain some testing of the sockets, as a bare minimum, along with inspection of the earthing arrangements.

Don & His Boys.

A visual inspection, can take what ever form you like.The Godfather would hope that it would at least contain some testing of the sockets, as a bare minimum, along with inspection of the earthing arrangements.

Don & His Boys.
I have issued visual inspection reports but I always do the basic safety tests as well.

These are verify main earthing and Ze reading

Verify connections of main bonding with continuity

Test socket outlets for earth continuity

Test Zs on socket outlets.

The reason I only do the socket outlets, and this is only on the ground floor is to verify a minimum safety check that can only be done with a tester, on the most common circuit used, that can cause a potential danger to the occupier.

It only takes a few minutes for the tests, but it gives me a better idea as to the condition of the installation, and raises my confidence to only issue a visual inspection report.

I may add that my reports have been requested and received by insurance companies as satisfying there needs.