Visual Inspection (bit of help)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have issued visual inspection reports but I always do the basic safety tests as well.These are verify main earthing and Ze reading

Verify connections of main bonding with continuity

Test socket outlets for earth continuity

Test Zs on socket outlets.

The reason I only do the socket outlets, and this is only on the ground floor is to verify a minimum safety check that can only be done with a tester, on the most common circuit used, that can cause a potential danger to the occupier.

It only takes a few minutes for the tests, but it gives me a better idea as to the condition of the installation, and raises my confidence to only issue a visual inspection report.

I may add that my reports have been requested and received by insurance companies as satisfying there needs.
Good point, but as much as I object to the 'visual inspections' yours GH certainly exceeds that, and is just short of a PIR?

Don

A visual inspection, can take what ever form you like.The Godfather would hope that it would at least contain some testing of the sockets, as a bare minimum, along with inspection of the earthing arrangements.

Don & His Boys.
Not wanting to split hairs but how can a visual inspection include testing? I assumed you were 'looking' at the state of the installation.

:|

Not wanting to split hairs but how can a visual inspection include testing? I assumed you were 'looking' at the state of the installation. :|
A visual inspection can take many forms, there are no legal requirements, only a full PIR is a viable inspection.

The Boys

A Periodic Inspection Report is as it states, nothing else.

It is not a safety document, despite the level of inspection/testing it may venture into, it merely highlights the Good, The Bad and the Ugly of any installation.

The downside to this report is that it can be breached ny way of 'limitations' I say breached, because the moment these are introduced into a inspection, it waters it down.

Time for electrical regulations to be enforced.

The Godfather