Visual Inspection Report

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulSC

Reaction score
Evening all,

I've been asked by a purchaser who's buying a property to do a Visual Inspection Report on Monday. I guess he had one of those surveys where the surveyor suggested spark to look at electrics, plumber to check gas, roofer to check roof, gardener to check grass etc. Money for old rope, but anyway.

I know these reports have questionable value, but he wants one, I've never done one, and there's one right here in the download section - Thanks admin.

I have a couple of questions regarding the report itself if anyone can help.

(1) On page 2 under "Wiring system" section, it states "Type and condition". By "type" does it mean single phase 2 wire (live conductors)?

(2) Also on page 2, the last section "Final Circuits" lists

Lighting (upstairs)

Lighting (downstairs)

Sockets (upstairs)

etc

etc

It's not clear what information is required for each circuit.

Appreciate any guidance you can give.

Paul

i sometimes do these for landlords. as far as i know NIC is the only scheme which does an official Visual Inspection report form, as Im with Napit I used the form from the download section too but changed it to suite my needs.

as long as your clear with what you've checked and more importantly what you havent checked on the form before you sign it theres not really any official requirement.

i generally check bonding, supply etc then check every accessery and function then maybe an earth loop or two

Not seen the Visual Certs but wiring system type will mean Twin /E , conduit, MICC etc.

Condition means what it says and all you are doing is looking at it so thats what you put . A visual inspection is merely part of the proper inspection , you won't know if the main E is actually functional , you won't know if the plugs have an earth connection and what the Zs is .

Someone doing things on the cheap if you ask me , a visual report is hardly worth the paper its written on , but if thats what they are paying you to do then so be it .

Evening all,I've been asked by a purchaser who's buying a property to do a Visual Inspection Report on Monday. I guess he had one of those surveys where the surveyor suggested spark to look at electrics, plumber to check gas, roofer to check roof, gardener to check grass etc. Money for old rope, but anyway.

I know these reports have questionable value, but he wants one, I've never done one, and there's one right here in the download section - Thanks admin.

I have a couple of questions regarding the report itself if anyone can help.

(1) On page 2 under "Wiring system" section, it states "Type and condition". By "type" does it mean single phase 2 wire (live conductors)?

(2) Also on page 2, the last section "Final Circuits" lists

Lighting (upstairs)

Lighting (downstairs)

Sockets (upstairs)

etc

etc

It's not clear what information is required for each circuit.

Appreciate any guidance you can give.

Paul
Wiring system is type of Cables e.g.

PVC T&E

the Origin of the installation box at the top of page 2 has the supply characteristics bit.

(haven't looked at Admin download one..

Just an NIC one I have here!)

i sometimes do these for landlords. as far as i know NIC is the only scheme which does an official Visual Inspection report form, as Im with Napit I used the form from the download section too but changed it to suite my needs.
nothing to stop you using a normal PIR form and stating 'visual only'

yeah did do a few that way, but decided was as bit of a waste of a cert.

i do find these visual inspection annoying too, specially as when you give them to someone they tend to ignore any advice you give them, or any work that needs doing.

Suppose they just think if you give them a piece of paper with a signature on its all they need!

I just had a look at the one in the download section..

its a bit different from the NIC layout..

When do you need to do the report?

Cuz I have a pad of the NICEIC green non-logo'd reports here..

which I could post a few over to you if you want to use one of these instead?

PM your address if interested?

;)

nothing to stop you using a normal PIR form and stating 'visual only'
That's what I do.

I normally do IR and ring circuit continuity as well as a visual inspection (simple tests from the CU) which I think gives a bit more meaning to the report. and doesn't take long.

That's what I do.I normally do IR and ring circuit continuity as well as a visual inspection (simple tests from the CU) which I think gives a bit more meaning to the report. and doesn't take long.
same here. along with Zs & RCD. so a bit more than visual only

Thanks Special,

Got the job on Monday so I guess I'll have to make do with what I've got.

Thanks for the offer though :Salute

Thanks for the responses chaps. Still not sure whats required by the last section on page 2 "Final Circuits"

Lighting (upstairs)

Lighting (downstairs)

Sockets (upstairs)

etc

etc

Are they after protective device, cable size, points of utilisation or what? :C

Paul

Thanks Special,Got the job on Monday so I guess I'll have to make do with what I've got.

Thanks for the offer though :Salute

Thanks for the responses chaps. Still not sure whats required by the last section on page 2 "Final Circuits"

Lighting (upstairs)

Lighting (downstairs)

Sockets (upstairs)

etc

etc

Are they after protective device, cable size, points of utilisation or what? :C

Paul
PM me your e-mail address and I will scan a copy of these NIC ones..

a send therm over tonight..

They have a few more boxes that I think that will make a bit more sense.

:coffee

Specs,

Try to do the backs as well, I have just tried with my scanner no joy!

These have guidance and advice to the recipient.

IIRC there is a comment in the NIC bumf somewhere that there would be no testing, but some dismantling will be necessary?

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:52 ----------

There should be samples available on the NIC site as downloads, all sides IIRC.

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 20:53 ---------- Previous post was at 20:52 ----------

Ohh I do like this auto merge!

Specs,Try to do the backs as well, I have just tried with my scanner no joy!

These have guidance and advice to the recipient.

IIRC there is a comment in the NIC bumf somewhere that there would be no testing, but some dismantling will be necessary?

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:52 ----------

There should be samples available on the NIC site as downloads, all sides IIRC.

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 20:53 ---------- Previous post was at 20:52 ----------

Ohh I do like this auto merge!
Don't they have the word "SAMPLE" watermarked across them? :|

So if you wanted to print the layout and hand write one..

looks a bit of a bum! :_|

Cheers Specs,

Got the scans through. Love this forum :p

Paul