Wall Mounting TV - cables running behind wall - safety.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ling Andy

Reaction score
Hi there, an electrician visited my house recently to wall mount a 46 inch TV. He said that I didn't need a new power socket for behind the TV, I could just run a power cable from the back of the TV, in to the back of the plasterboard wall, have it run down behind the wall, and out at the bottom to plug in to the existing socket. He also has the HDMI cables running down beside the power cable. 

Is this safe and compliant? I'm worried. 

Thanks. 

My biggest worry would have been getting dust etc into the connectors on the hdmi leads while feeding them down the gap, still I suppose that's why we have condoms!

Thanks for the replies both - especially on a Friday night! 

Paul - my dad had a different electrician out to do the same job for him, and the other electrician said it was against regulations to run the power cable behind the wall. He said he needed a plug socket behind the tv as a power cable behind the wall is a fire hazard. Googling seems to throw up conflicting answers. 

I suspect your biggest issue may be the proximity of the mains cable to the signal cable.........

As for it being against regulations to run the cable behind a wall - what a loads of bulls....

It would probably have been better to put a socket behind the tv, but there may be a host of reasons why he could not do it. No RCD? existing socket is already a spur? etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all. This is all very helpful and has put my mind to rest. 

Yeah the tv power cable runs 2m down and out at a plug that's beside the square hole with the brushes. It's a new build and came with a media plate with 4 plugs / sky / phone etc about 1/3 up the wall.  

Why would it be better to have a socket behind the tv? Just wondering whether I should get someone else in to change it l, if it can be done. 

Thanks all. This is all very helpful and has put my mind to rest. 

Yeah the tv power cable runs 2m down and out at a plug that's beside the square hole with the brushes. It's a new build and came with a media plate with 4 plugs / sky / phone etc about 1/3 up the wall.  

Why would it be better to have a socket behind the tv? Just wondering whether I should get someone else in to change it l, if it can be done. 
It makes no difference to be honest ...now you say the flex reaches a socket ,  thats fine , don't worry .

When the TV is being fixed to a solid brick wall its usual to chase out a channel in the plaster etc.  to run power & signal cables up to behind the TV and often fit a socket there too. 

Googling seems to throw up conflicting answers.

Try ignoring anything American. I find this is a problem a lot of the time now, people hit the Google and then see al the American answers and assume that must be correct. In the US it is against code to run an appliance flex in the wall, over here it is fine (in that there is no definitive regulation against it as such).

Absolutely no issue with doing what you have proposed. I do it all the time.

Why would the proximity of the power cable and signal cable be an issue? :)

In practice it will cause no issue at all. I have installed loads of cables to TVs with power and HDMI in the same trunking or even just managed together. Absolutely zero issues. You would need some pretty noisy mains cabling and some really shoddy HDMI cables to ever see a problem, or if you were running them together for long distances. For 2 or 3m to the TV it will be fine.

From experience the best solution is to to use quite a wide flat section /rectangular conduit from floor level to a suitable cable exit area behind the TV.  This needs more cutting in to make flush  and care covering-over BUT:

When you find the HDMI cable to the media player / AV amp/ Sky box or whatever that you just plastered in is defective it's easy to swap it.

When your new TV has a different power plug it's easier to swap (although you may need to replace the original 13A plug on the cable

When you realise your installation now needs 2 more HDMI cables and a satellite TV aerial feed it is possible - with patience- to add these

When your TV /soundbar gains a subwoofer and needs a power cable  . . .  etc.

It is generally recommended that power cables and signal cables are run separately when possible.  BT would like a 50mm separation IIRC.   The mess at the back of my TV cabinet says it generally doesn't happen and isn't a problem

Does this mean we can start ignoring Trumpton  now  ?
I thought most sensible people already did, note I said sensible.lol

Anyway that reminds me of a joke.

An American is on a coach tour of Britain, they visit London and as they drive past Buckingham Palace he asks what it is, on being told he replies, "why, that's so small, our gardens at the White House are bigger than all that put together"

They visit Blackpool, seeing the famous tower he replies, "my, we have electricity pylons bigger than that"

Traveling farther North, they visit a farm, and he see's a field of potatoes, "gee we've back gardens bigger than your field", the farmer digs up some new potatoes and proudly shows them to the yank, who replies "call that a potato, we've bigger peas" the farmer replies, "yes but we grow them to fit our mouths"

Suddenly a fire engine roars past, lights flashing and sirens screaming, "what's that"? asks the yank, the farmer replied, "don't worry son, it's just a window cleaner late for work"

It is generally recommended that power cables and signal cables are run separately when possible.  BT would like a 50mm separation IIRC.   The mess at the back of my TV cabinet says it generally doesn't happen and isn't a problem
nigh on impossible given the amount of cables behid TVs.

Alternatative solution for hollow walls is use brush plates top and bottom, 2gang size works best

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts