Heat resistance behind a cooker

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 37701

Reaction score
Hi all,

While inspecting a fault in a kitchen in a rental property in an old building I found 2.5mm cables running on the outside of the walls (obviously a fairly recent addition) and - worryingly - behind a cooker. I informed the customer that due to the position they are at a risk of melting and combined with the subpar cleanliness level at the property and a very substantial buildup of grease it poses a fire risk.

The owner asked me to address this issue.

I would normally suggest running these cables in a wall, and in this particular property plasterboarding would be the best solution.

However, I learned that the customer only wants to keep the property as a rental for another 3 years, then do a full refurb and pass it on to his son. This is when these cables (or new ones) could be plasterboarded.

Therefore a question - what would be the best ‘temporary’ solution?

Thanks,
P

Are you confident that it won’t?

Isn’t there a reason why cooker power supply cables are heat resistant?

If you’re prepared to issue a certificate that it’s safe, I’ll happily pass on the owners details.

Please can I ask for an actual advice, not gaslighting. I laid out my query clearly, I’m not looking for an opinion, but a practical solution. Thank you.

Last edited:
Define "cooker" Are we talking oven, hob, or an all in one free standing cooker?
Please can I get an advice on how to protect mains cables from melting other than running the cables behind a plasterboard. The appliance doesn’t make a difference. Cooker, oven, hob, hybrid, all in one, doesn’t matter. Cables are at the risk of melting, this is the issue, not what could be the cause of melting. Thank you.

Is there anyone who can help?

Galvanised steel trunking or conduit would be my suggestion. Obviously they will stand out from the wall but so would any other surface mounted solution. Both can be painted to match the wall colour.

Are you confident that it won’t?

Isn’t there a reason why cooker power supply cables are heat resistant?

If you’re prepared to issue a certificate that it’s safe, I’ll happily pass on the owners details.

If you are doing an EICR then its up to you to code it.

First things first, is there ANY sign of an thermal damage?

And as per ProDave - what type of oven/ cooker are we talking about and how old is it.

For the record I've seen lots like you describe but todate, none have thermal damage

Galvanised steel trunking or conduit would be my suggestion. Obviously they will stand out from the wall but so would any other surface mounted solution. Both can be painted to match the wall colour.
Thank you. Would you know if BS changes (can’t remember if already in place or proposed) relating to heat dispersion apply to behind the heat source too ie would I need to extend the protection 15cm on each side of the unit?

Thank you. Would you know if BS changes (can’t remember if already in place or proposed) relating to heat dispersion apply to behind the heat source too ie would I need to extend the protection 15cm on each side of the unit?
As part of any inspection in such circumstances, I would be looking to see if there is any thermal damage, and then consider how long the cables have been there. If less than 6 months, then there may be potential for thermal damage, if 6 years, then they would have burnt out already by now. All ovens are insulated, so rear spaces are not as hot as internal temperatures. Many ovens are built into kitchen cabinets, yet no thermal damage occurs to these chipboard and formica cabinets, and I would say about 99% of ovens I've encountered are wired in 6mm FTE, yet I have never seen a thermally damaged cable to date, or been called out to replace a cable damaged by heat. But, if you are concerned, then I would suggest metal or plastic capping over said cables to shield from any heat.

I very much doubt any standard domestic ovens / cookers would have external metal parts exceeding 70degrees..?

Ovens are designed to keep the heat in to cook the food, not heat the room..
Historically 90%+ of ovens had a length of bog standard PVC 6.0mm T&E...
Which over the years the only melted conductors I have seen, have been due to loose screw terminals!

What evidence do you have that there is an excessive heat problem?

Before you start wasting time doing unnecessary work...
Why not test the rear of the appliance with a thermometer whilst it is in normal use?

And compare with typical data sheet for PVC T&E...
such as Temp rating -5 to + 70degrees...
https://www.elandcables.com/media/38169/bs6004-624y-twin-and-earth-pvc-cable.pdf

There are NO requirements for heat protection around a standard oven..

This aspect is built into the over itself with insulating materials between the oven compartment, (where the food goes), and the outer casing of the appliance that you can touch.

They are designed to be fitted adjacent to kitchen cupboards and units that typically are of wooden, combustible material..

There ARE minimum distances between cooker hoods and top surfaces of gas and/or electric hob plates.

Indeed they do and for no real reason, crazy.
have you encountered 'flat earthers' or other conspiracy theorists? I have a theory that the decline in believing in gods and religion is being filled by beliefs in aliens, lizards and complete denial of thousands of years of science, and fills some strange human need to believe in fairy stories :D

have you encountered 'flat earthers' or other conspiracy theorists? I have a theory that the decline in believing in gods and religion is being filled by beliefs in aliens, lizards and complete denial of thousands of years of science, and fills some strange human need to believe in fairy stories :D
You'll be telling me next that the earth isnt flat :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

But answer me this:

• Why is there only one monopolies commission?
  • How do they get Teflon to stick to frying pans?
  • Has anyone been to a deserted place?

I lost interest when the OP's attitude kicked in, although the OP looked to be one of those whose EICR's are the type that find problems that aren't problems