wander leads

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like a cheaper option to the rip-off price that Megger or Kewtech charge for their 30m and 50m reels - we all have extension leads, good bit of lateral thinking Applaud SmileyApplaud Smiley
I use a 50m extension lead from B&Q as well. If you damage 0ne cord, you have 2 others to use and even if you completely stuff it up, its still cheaper than one of those Kewtech ones.

And I use a roll of 1.5mm single that lives on the van, until I start using it up, then I get another to replace it.Costs sod all :)
I use the same; -beats me why you need a "special" wander lead. Swot nulling button's for.

same here i have a roll of 4mm earth in my bag. pain in the ass to coil back up though.if i could afford a proper roll i would get 1 it looks lots easier .

Good bit of kit,got mine 6 months ago, use it all the time with decent reel.

All dancing all singing silicone wander leads are NOT required.

Simply use an extention lead on a self wind drum or a roll of single core earth.

Wander lead is nulled for the tests so no problem cutting bits off and bonding up.

When the new colours came in I had loads of spare reels of single red and black cable that when needed I used as a wander lead. In fact I still use an old piece of red for doing my radial testing from earth to live.

Better edit this lol

I mean temporary connection when DEAD testing for radial r1=r2.

I stole the idea and made my own plug and socket so that I can use any extension lead - works for me, tidier than roll of singles, less tangles, no dedicated cable.

Because all three pins are connected, plug is also useful for R1+R2 on socket circuits - remember to remove it before you do the IR tests otherwise you could waste ages looking for a dead short...................probably!

I use the roll of 1.5mm G/Y singles, all ways have one on the van as I use it for the backbox fly lead to cpc.

Another usefull trick I use is to put a single socket outlet at the end of the lighting circuit, cost ?

On commecial properties I put it end of line normally on the ceiling. In a two up two down I normally only use one in the attick for the upstairs lights, downstairs lights I try to end in the kitchen for easy access, if its downlights I put a socket on the last downlight, instead of a jb provided it will fit the cut out.

I always mark them as TEST sockets only, it just saves time testing an no need to hold three leads to do zs and rcd trip times, just plug in and wait at cu, that is if you have a auto rcd tester!

On commecial properties I put it end of line normally on the ceiling. In a two up two down I normally only use one in the attick for the upstairs lights, downstairs lights I try to end in the kitchen for easy access, if its downlights I put a socket on the last downlight, instead of a jb provided it will fit the cut out.I always mark them as TEST sockets only, it just saves time testing an no need to hold three leads to do zs and rcd trip times, just plug in and wait at cu, that is if you have a auto rcd tester!
you mean one of these?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLRS1W.html

or allowing for the stupidity of customers fit a round pin socket and make up a round pin to trailing socket adapter for testing?

Am I overcomplicating?

The Red lead from our Earth resistance tester is 40meters long

That does the trick.

It was a one off stock clearance from the local wholesaler in their bargain section on the trade counter, until then i used singles, but i saw it and treated myself.

Latest posts