Weekend Working

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C'mon everybody - this is 2009. Saturday and Sunday are working days for me if the customer requests it. No different to working a Tuesday or Wednesday. And customer gets charged same rate no matter what day it is. I don't work 7 days unless I have to, so will take a weekday off if necessary. As for family - my wife often works weekends in her job, and kids are all 18 and over. Trouble with this country is too many people think they are entitled to a Sunday off - why? Everyone got religious again whilst I wasn't looking?

Guiness Drink

C'mon everybody - this is 2009. Saturday and Sunday are working days for me if the customer requests it. No different to working a Tuesday or Wednesday. And customer gets charged same rate no matter what day it is. I don't work 7 days unless I have to, so will take a weekday off if necessary. As for family - my wife often works weekends in her job, and kids are all 18 and over. Trouble with this country is too many people think they are entitled to a Sunday off - why? Everyone got religious again whilst I wasn't looking?Guiness Drink
I agree with you Andy, to a point. With my rota I work 17 1/2 days out of 19 and then get 2 weekends off in a row. That's the knackering part. Not that Sundays are sacred!

Time off is very important

i dont work sundays normally unless for a very good reason, but i do work around home on sundays, like changing the fuseboard this sunday coming, as ours isnt big enough in the garage, so am fitting a splitload wylex the main house one in the hallway is good enough for a few years but the garage cu is only 5 ways and i now need o10 waya, for the extra circuits.

I used to work 12 hour days 7 days a week, i had lots of money, stress, and no life. one morning i woke up, sat at the end of my bed and realized there is more to life! i now try and only work 4 days a week. moneys a bit tighter, but im a damn site happier!!!!

Some years back my old boss used to moan like billyeo about one of the sparks who would never work Saturday. First class sparks , hard worker but boss thought him useless because of it. Every Saturday the guy took his son to watch B,ham City play home and away , he said they were special times as the lad would want to go with his mates as he grew up.

MMMMmmmmnnn!! Now I wonder who had it right ??

C'mon everybody - this is 2009. Saturday and Sunday are working days for me if the customer requests it. No different to working a Tuesday or Wednesday. And customer gets charged same rate no matter what day it is. I don't work 7 days unless I have to, so will take a weekday off if necessary. As for family - my wife often works weekends in her job, and kids are all 18 and over. Trouble with this country is too many people think they are entitled to a Sunday off - why? Everyone got religious again whilst I wasn't looking?Guiness Drink
I think most people appreciate the need for at least one day off a week. Common sense dictates we need to rest for at least one out of seven. I am all for keeping Sunday special and would be happy if all the shops etc were shut. Even if people are not Christian and dont go to church, at least its a day for families to do things together.

I worked for a large mining and quarrying company in the 80's they were too tight to put me on call so I ended up being at work 6-6 mon - sat and 7-1 on a sunday plus sometimes even more hours. After 5 years of that I had enough and went to a 37 hr week mon - fri which I think is the best.

Some years back my old boss used to moan like billyeo about one of the sparks who would never work Saturday. First class sparks , hard worker but boss thought him useless because of it. Every Saturday the guy took his son to watch B,ham City play home and away , he said they were special times as the lad would want to go with his mates as he grew up.MMMMmmmmnnn!! Now I wonder who had it right ??
I remember this old spark i used to work with, dedicated, loyal, hardworking, lived for the company and the job, we have all met one like him once or twice. He worked all the time, never saw his wife or kids and he used to say " no time,to busy working". He died on the job, bad heart.

I went to his funeral, his family were there, a couple of friends and a couple of the older sparks too. The company directors sent a wreath. Following day they were advertising for a replacement spark,his van was cleaned and valeted and a new chap started a week later. Sums it up really.

It certainly does , Tim, I 've met them too, grafting away all hours, working weekends.

Where's the Gaffer ? Oh playing golf of course.

A guy I worked with some years ago, worked all hours for years, also liked a drink or three, never at home, wife and two kids. Story was that he had a load of cash hidden away, has a skinfull one night , steps in front of a car, brown bread.

Hidden cash ? No one knew where it was, still don't AFAIK.

Missus left with a load of debt, nothing had been spent on the house, personally I think most of it was peed up the wall !!

It's a dilemma sometimes being self-employed. If there's plenty of work on and I'm busy all week long, should I turn away a little job that could be slotted in on a Saturday morning or Sunday afternoon? No, I'd take the job, get it out the way, and in the past this has led on to more serious work from the client pleased with my timely attention.

IMHO if you turn work away simply because your weekends are sacrosanct, you may end up twiddling your thumbs during a downturn, people don't phone you next time, they phone the chap that was willing to come out on Saturday.

In this day & age Joe Public expects tradesmen to jump to it when offered work, they see the chap who works traditional hours Monday-Friday 8-5pm, with hour for lunch, as a dinosaur, soon to be totally extinct. I know I am as guilty, if I need a plumber or chippy I won't phone any miserable git who rigidly sticks to trad hours. I want flexibility and I want it NOW, if not I'll move to the next name in the book.

To the person who said that you aren't earning enough during the week if you have to work weekends, I say, as a potential customer, "he doesn't need the work if he won't do a weekend, he's obviously charging too much"!

Such is life in Britain in 2009.

All that said, I no longer work every weekend, unless I WANT TO. The odd one here or there is OK, it helps me to pay for things like disappearing round Europe on my motorbike for 6 weeks as I have just done:p

I work as much as I can, 8-4.30 with my employer then on average 2 or 3 nights a week and 2-3weekends a month for myself. I'd work more if I had the work. But I also like to enjoy life. So I dont really get much time to relax. If I'm not working I'm usually off to somewhere for the weekend either with the missus or the lads.

Not had much on recently, then had a suddenly flurry of work enquiries, couldn't afford to say no so I booked a domestic job in for 4 days this week knowing that I could have a shop rewire on soon. Then the rewire needs doing ASAP so I started it Friday, worked all weekend on the first fix right up until yesterday afternoon when I received a text postponing the domestic job. Got 3 days sat on my a*se now.

Talk about peed off !!!!

Normally though I only go out weekends to do the odd light fitting swap

Not had much on recently, then had a suddenly flurry of work enquiries, couldn't afford to say no so I booked a domestic job in for 4 days this week knowing that I could have a shop rewire on soon. Then the rewire needs doing ASAP so I started it Friday, worked all weekend on the first fix right up until yesterday afternoon when I received a text postponing the domestic job. Got 3 days sat on my a*se now. Talk about peed off !!!!

Normally though I only go out weekends to do the odd light fitting swap
As they say its feast or famine.

:(