what do you do

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeh i suppose if origianally wired as one big lighting circuit and then split at a later date then you would effectivly have 2 lighting circuits, and get probs with rcd's tripping when the installation is brought upto 17th standards. but in general the problems arrise from the way the house was wired in the first place with down and up lights, seperate cirfcuits, sw/wire for landing light from downstairs circuit causes tripping

yeah i agree with what you say there, but when i took my 17th the tutor was adament it meant the example i said.it goes back to the old story the regs is how you interperate them

confused now lol
Nice to hear that your tutor was adam ant. Did he have his face paint on.

Prince charming. prince charming;)

cheers #

maccaGuiness Drink

have one one me

hiya all, ive been working as a spark for 33 years, and even then at work and college we were warned of the consequencies of borrowed neutrals, so as good practice ive always wired as 2 seperate ccts up and down, in my experience ive found that lights which used the same neutral were mostly on the same cct. i think in all those years ive only seen a handful of cases with borrowed neutrals, but perhaps the problem is more widespread than i imagined ??????????????

Nice to hear that your tutor was adam ant. Did he have his face paint on.Prince charming. prince charming;)

cheers #

maccaGuiness Drink

have one one me
hahaha he may as well have been, maybe adam ant would have told me the right info

old houses used to be wired with the sw/wire coming from the downstairs lighting circuit, operating the upstairs landing light and returning/using the neutral of the upstairs lighting circuit, therefore causing newly installed dual rcd boards to trip both RCD's. i had this exact problem just a couple of weeks back, clearly there are ways of determiing whether these problems will arrise but on my particular job i didnt have these problems till after i tested everything. i ended up having to take a new neutral to the landing light to keep the two circuits electrically seperate.

just something to be aware of when fitting new boards in old houses.

rich
I think we do already understand exactly what you say there Sparky... :)

but as a side point it is worth nothing this practice should have been addressed many years ago now for compliance with earlier regs..

e.g. 314-01-04 yellow book?

All final circuits must be seperate from all other final circuits, including neutral..

{paraphrase}

And any reasonably knowledgeable spark should be aware of this potential hazard..

and with both light circuits disconnected at CU..

landing and hall light switched on..

& working bulbs in place if borrowed/shared neutral..

you will get a continuity

Live1 to Neutral2

or

Live2 to Neutral1

or

Neutral1 to Neutral2.

which shouldnt be there!

before connecting to your CU. :)

Pre 17th the big problem would be getting a belt from a light when working on one circuit but other circuit still energized... (which should be safe if comply with 314-01-04!).

Now it's tripping your RCD's if you don't test / verify / remedy first.

Please note...

this is not a pop at anyone... just trying to help any others reading this thread. Spec Loc aka trailer boy aka ar5e face! :eek: :^O:^O] :)

Please note...this is not a pop at anyone... just trying to help any others reading this thread. Spec Loc aka trailer boy aka ar5e face! :eek: :^O:^O] :)
:(

Have a drink mate Guiness Drink

I'm off to bed nn:z

Please note...

this is not a pop at anyone... just trying to help any others reading this thread. Spec Loc aka trailer boy aka ar5e face! :eek: :^O:^O] :)
Specs having a pop at someone is not in your nature, everyone has their own opinions, comments and views on things, and whether they are right or wrong......well no-one is perfect.

As the newest members will learn as time goes on, this place is one of, if not the friendliest forum around, we just have to used to eachothers way of thinking.

Totally off-topic but i said it cos i can and i care. :x

Aye been a good quiet non-argumentative cow :) (admin & admin 2 both online?)
Thats why you been a good non-argumentative cow me thinks! ]:) :)

go and ask the Don to post another Smiley??

I dare you!

it is nearly Halloween you know..

got to get in some practice!!! ]:)

BlushingPray

Specs having a pop at someone is not in your nature, everyone has their own opinions, comments and views on things, and whether they are right or wrong......well no-one is perfect. As the newest members will learn as time goes on, this place is one of, if not the friendliest forum around, we just have to used to eachothers way of thinking.

Totally off-topic but i said it cos i can and i care. :x
well no-one is perfect ?

well Ad1 keeps telling us you are! :D ;)

And FIT!Blushing:O:^O:^O:^O

Hia guys just a quick thought. (Getting body armour on ready to be shot), when testing, isnt there a test of seperation of circuits? I would have thought that if you performed it before you start a board change, you would at least know that there is a borrowed neutral somewhere? btw dont have alot of testing experience so I maybe talking piffle here??

Andy Guiness Drink

Hia guys just a quick thought. (Getting body armour on ready to be shot), when testing, isnt there a test of seperation of circuits? I would have thought that if you performed it before you start a board change, you would at least know that there is a borrowed neutral somewhere? btw dont have alot of testing experience so I maybe talking piffle here??Andy Guiness Drink
you are 100% correct. It has been said in this thread Applaud Smiley

Latest posts