What is it?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony S

© Honorary Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rey-TOI-11kV_zpsmrp7pdha.jpg

Bloody hell that's old. The pendulums use to stick and did not work properly. Most people did not like to tap off them. That's if I am on the right track. ;)

Only to be operated by a suicidal maniac should be painted on the front. It is a Reyrolle TOI/TO12 11kV fused tee switch. 300A feeder isolators with a 100A fuse switch.

We still had three in service in to the 90’s. Live operation? forget it!

There was a unit on the old MEB network still live in 2003. I used to drive past it every day thinking “rather you than me!”

The 11kV fuses were only ½” long enclosed in bakelised paper tubes  :innocent

The problem is Andy if the fuse blew the pendulum was supposed too drop indicating the fault, in bad weather they often got stuck in the open position.

I do not know much about them as I was only a young lad at the time but I know enough that no one liked going anywhere near them.

I remember some similar ones in the Round Oak steel works , Specs will remember the place .  A lot of stuff installed in the 1950,s  ( Probably by Stepps  :innocent )        The DC sub station was a particular nightmare as I remember , with open switchgear .  Behind which was a tunnel of live busbars coming off the top of the gear , then down the rear wall where cables were bolted on and left the building to various destinations. 

The engineer would open the safety cage and we walked through the tunnel to ..say...where our new cable entered and , making sure  our three bars were dead,  proceeded to potend the cable and connect to the bars.    On either side of you were live bars from adjacent switches. :eek:

Nightmare !!!!!!

I tried to show what the sub was like , not very good drawing I'm afraid ,  a wire cage normally prevented access to the rear of switchgear , but even the switches on the front were open blades with Tufnol handles.   Only the bars you were connecting to were dead so there was no waving spanners about or armour wire . 

It was rubber gloves and brown trousers!                   Sorry if my stick man looks like Gollum !

Scan0001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Canoeboy said:
I don't have a current SAP so cant oblige sorry.....
is a "sap" the apprentice you tell to go switch it off?

Last edited by a moderator: