what is the difference between switch start and high frequency light fittings

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkysam

Reaction score
What is the difference between high frequency and switch start? How do each operate , cheers

Thanks Doc.

HF have no mains flicker or strobing . Lightwieght.Instant start. Lamps supposed to last longer. HF gear doesn't last like old fashioned switch start ballasts in my experience.

I've found that alot too, always see t8 lights with starters last for years, starter go now and then, and I'm always forever having to replace HF compact fluorescent 2D fittings all the time, id rather the switch start, more reliable and cheaper

i would recommend high frequancy as they are more efficiant, lamp lasts longer, dont get as hot however dont last as long as switchstart HF lights have a resonable life of about 5 years depending on use. for plastic fittings dont use switchstart ones as the plastic becomes brittle and breaks very quickly when running long hours such as in a office or schools. i have not had any problems with the tridonic HF ballasts and the CED ballasts however had problems with switchstart causing the plastic to become brittle and the light fixture actully falling down as the plastic could not hold the fixture up as the plastic simply broke around the screws. in conclution it depends on what the light is being used for, if you are working under them for long hours daily i would recommend HF as they are better for your eyes, dont get as hot and are cheaper to run. for short running hours or in metal housing switchstart would be fine however switchstart can cause eye problems.

HF pros:

instant start

energy efficiant

lamps last longer

dont flicker

end of life lamps dont strobe

cons:

dont last as long as switchstart

switchstart pros

last longer

sometimes brighter

cheaper purchase price

cons:

strobe at end of life

lamps dont last as long

lights flicker

non instant start

get hotter when running

noisy

use more energy than HF

I only bother replacing parts in bespoke fittings. Standard off the shelve fitting I replace the whole fitting. 28w 2D about £30. Why bother polishing a turd.

Do switch start fluorescents cause strobing effects on the new type of computer monitors and TVs? I always thought that was the primary reason for fitting high frequency in offices with the old CRT technology - not sure that is still true.

i would recommend high frequancy as they are more efficiant, lamp lasts longer, dont get as hot however dont last as long as switchstart HF lights have a resonable life of about 5 years depending on use. for plastic fittings dont use switchstart ones as the plastic becomes brittle and breaks very quickly when running long hours such as in a office or schools. i have not had any problems with the tridonic HF ballasts and the CED ballasts however had problems with switchstart causing the plastic to become brittle and the light fixture actully falling down as the plastic could not hold the fixture up as the plastic simply broke around the screws. in conclution it depends on what the light is being used for, if you are working under them for long hours daily i would recommend HF as they are better for your eyes, dont get as hot and are cheaper to run. for short running hours or in metal housing switchstart would be fine however switchstart can cause eye problems.

HF pros:

instant start

energy efficiant

lamps last longer

dont flicker

end of life lamps dont strobe

Will also shut it's self down if the tube does not strike.

cons:

dont last as long as switchstart

switchstart pros

last longer

sometimes brighter

cheaper purchase price

cons:

strobe at end of life

lamps dont last as long

lights flicker

non instant start

get hotter when running

noisy

use more energy than HF

And another one

is that the fault of being HF or just being modern Chinese fittings????

There's an 8ft tube, switch start, at the unit where I rent on office. It isn't used much, but as been trying to start a dead tube for 4 years - old Fitzgerald fitting. I've worked with quite a few old Fitzgerald fittings, most of which have still been on original ballasts.