What Is This Device?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sno123

Reaction score
Hey guys, my wife just recently started work somewhere and there is a device above her head on the ceiling that's making her uncomfortable. She thinks it might be a cctv camera, i think it might be a motion sensor as the lights turn on when you walk in and there are no light switches in the room. Can anybody tell me FOR SURE what this is to put her mind at peace? thanks 

55ilq0.jpg

Yeah, sorry about that!

the mind control/ toilet break timer version is the one in the pic which has the small button at the side ( as shown)

tell your missus that she only has to worry if she sees a small red light glowing faintly behind the lens when the lights come on.

these send a signal back to a management time system that logs the individual workes periods of inactivity

perhaps your missus should stop looking at facebook and get on with her work
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

just beause you are paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you :slap

Last edited by a moderator:
However.

One of the manufacturers (who`s name escapes me for a minute, but it is something like luxomat BEG) makes these things that can be programmed / set with a remote control ( I was assessing them at Elex)

In which case, it might be an IR receiver for programming the parameters of the motion sensor.

Tell her to have a look above the ceiling, and see how many / what colour the wires going to it are - that`ll be the best indicator of its true / hidden purposes

However.

One of the manufacturers (who`s name escapes me for a minute, but it is something like luxomat BEG) makes these things that can be programmed / set with a remote control ( I was assessing them at Elex)

In which case, it might be an IR receiver for programming the parameters of the motion sensor.

Tell her to have a look above the ceiling, and see how many / what colour the wires going to it are - that`ll be the best indicator of its true / hidden purposes
Using a handy ladder smuggled into work in her tights?

However.

thanks mate, i'll tell her to have a look. it's stuck onto the ceiling though, how could you see the wires going into it without prying it off?