What is this kind of socket?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhuk01

Reaction score
Hi,

We've just moved house and I'm trying to get my around wallmounting the TV in an existing false chimney that the previous owners had.  I can't see any power cables already hooked in, apart from this strange looking connector.  Does anyone know what it is?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6avzetcwtm6nclo/IMG_0215.JPG?dl=0

Thanks,

Martin

So not something you would recommend using to power a TV?   Looks like I will need to get someone in to add a socket to the wall.  Is this an easy job or will they need to open the wall up?  Basically it's a fake chimney stud wall with a recess for the tv to mount to.

I suspect that there is likely to be a socket behind the wall with a plug and that lead. If you unscrew the brush plate then you may be able to see behind? I would say they have used a dry line (plastic) box and have cut the lower section out to get cables through? 

What I find slightly odd is that they have moved out and have left both ends of the plug and socket? Most people would just take the tv and the lead with whatever is attached?? 

It could be perfectly OK to use depending where it comes from. If you can trace its origin to either a fused plug or a fused spur that's fine. Just connect your TV to the plug the previous owner has kindly left you.

I’m with Geoff on this, maybe perfectly OK, once you find the other side of the blue cable and establish that it is fused.

Most of the garden tool variety were 2 pin only on 2 core cable (missing the CPE and Central Earth pin).   I think its nice they left the other part of the connector for you but it would be comforting to know how and where the other end is connected 

Thanks everyone for the responses.

The cable comes out of a hole in the wall near the floor and ends in a standard 3 pin UK plug.    What I don't really understand however is how I could use this to connect the TV to?   Is it a better longterm solution to have an electrician come to install an actual socket for behind the TV?

That plug & socket is fine .  You say theres a 13A plug at the other end ...that is just an in -line  plug & socket  to enable the TV to be removed as necessary .   The offset earth pin prevents L - N crossover .

They've been around for years  , usually made by Duraplug . 

Thanks everyone for the responses.

The cable comes out of a hole in the wall near the floor and ends in a standard 3 pin UK plug.    What I don't really understand however is how I could use this to connect the TV to?   Is it a better longterm solution to have an electrician come to install an actual socket for behind the TV?
Presumably there is a socket within reach of the floor level plug?

If so just cut the 13 amp plug off your TV lead and fit the plug part of the cable connector to it. 

You will gain little from the expense of fitting an extra socket unless you want do it for other reasons, such as tidiness or needing extra sockets.