Whats your opinion on this ......

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the Hornet saying that there is a requirement to protect flush wiring in commercial premises with an RCD then ? Thats not how I interperate that section . ?:| ? :|
RCD "additional protection" under the 17th edition is very precise in its detail.

There is no need to RCD a circuit that is installed that has the required mechanical protection, or is installed in a known precribed form ie trunking or conduit.

Any cable not protected and not buried in a wall or partition more than 50mm WILL need RCD additional protection, unless the cable meets the requirements for such an installation.

My rule of thumb for any decision is if you cant see it protect it, if you can see it make it show.

So no I would not RCD a flush circuit simply because it can be seen, but it should be protected from damage and installed according to external influences etc etc

I personally think commercial stuff should not be Rcd protected although I have just put some extra sockets in a resturant for a customer I do work for.

None of the original sockets have Rcd protection but the extra ones have as the people using them are not instructed people. I would rather put an Rcd in to cover my rear but thats my opinion. On the site which is a big complex where the resturant is some sockets are Rcd protected and others are not. Work was done over five or six years by different contractors so it shows some would Rcd protect some would not.

Batty