What's your opinion

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikep

Gold Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Friend has asked me what I think of this situation he is in, he works as a caretaker in a the halls of residence for students in a university, he has been asked to change the odd light fitting and socket, plus resetting any immersion heater that may trip the overheat stat,

My opinion is he is not under the instruction of a skilled person and has no training at all, including safe isolation etc.

This is a public building so surely this sort of work should be carried out only by a competent person,

I wonder what you all make of this, I have told him that just under health and safety he is putting his life at risk let alone other peoples as he has no traning for this sort of work.

I think Mike may be right.

There is a maintenance manager at a local hotel - switched on type of guy, but no formal electrical qual.

Their H&S policy means he has to call the head contractor, to call me, to change light fittings other than standard GX5.3 / BC / ES like-for-likes.

Noz: the sticking point is prob. the insurance.

If he's a caretaker then there must be limitations to his scope of work. Would he do any gas/plumbing? I doubt it so why should he volunteer to do electrical work if he is not trained? He can always say 'no - get a proper spark'

You asked for an opinion and thats mine.

the guy may be worried about his job, esp in this climate.

its all well and good stating the law etc, but if he has kids to feed,

I think in the letter of the law, then NO, he probably shouldnt be doing it,

but, to what extent does he feel comfortable,? pulling the fuse and changing a like for like socket? changing a 3 plate light with perhaps incorrect markings?

if, and I suspect it is, the building is 3ph then he is probably not competent enough to be carrying out works of this nature,

if 1ph, then probably not much different from your average homeowner,

but,again, as said, what does the insurance say.?

Again really depends on level of work, like for like if competent enough to do it. But the muck would really hit the fan if there was a cliam on the insurance.

Last person to touch the electrics and all that.... :innocent