When Domestic Installers Should Stay at Home

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And there's the problem that these scams face, if you are reliable,honest and trustworthy doing a job to satisfactory standards then the customer doesn't give a flying saucer whether you're registered or not. Ok so mainly govt authorities will insist upon it, purely based on the historic value of the nic, but not on any values of today, how do we know, because the dclg is supposed to oversee the scams and building regs so seeing as they endorse ALL the scams and they too are a govt authority then how difficult would it be for ALL govt authorities to be made aware of the different scams? Yet they expect joe public and private companies to know of all the different scams? 

Your one of the better ones!!

In fact there is nothing wrong with a domestic installer providing they stay within their remit. If they wish to progress then for the sake of safety do the extra courses that teach the absolute basics and science behind electrickory.

The install I inspected showed a total lack of pride, self respect and a basic knowledge of electrical basic principles.

I also know some domestic installers who would put to shame many time served electricians, but only on this forum!
Whats the difference between  commercial electric and domestic electricory

There was a time before Part P of the building regulations that there were no differences, an electrician was just that an electrician.

Since the eruption of short course domestic installers differences have become most apparent in the knowledge to carry out some works.

Most domestic installers have never worked with three phase supplies and distribution, I have already repaired a motor wrongly wired up by one such electrician, another fault was diagnosed as there was no neutral, when I explained that a three phase motor does not require a neutral I was looked upon like I had swore.

Wiring a house should be pretty simple, but even then some of them get it wrong, get it wrong on commercial and your in trouble.

Whats the difference between  commercial electric and domestic electricory

Good question. 

Traditionally nothing. Apprenticeships were pretty much standard and all aspects of the trade were taught. Nowadays there is a two tier system with dodgy training centres offering to make someone earn £50,000 with a 5 week course in electrical installation. Now the schemes have lapped this right up and instead of refusing to allow these under qualified people the use of what used to be trusted, well respected badges they started a route to join their scheme by saying they could only carry out domestic works. This is now known as a 'Domestic Installer'. 

These 5 week courses can in no way cover all the aspects to carry out all domestic works let alone what is required in commercial and industrial installations. 

Essex1 said:
Good question. 

Traditionally nothing. Apprenticeships were pretty much standard and all aspects of the trade were taught. Nowadays there is a two tier system with dodgy training centres offering to make someone earn £50,000 with a 5 week course in electrical installation. Now the schemes have lapped this right up and instead of refusing to allow these under qualified people the use of what used to be trusted, well respected badges they started a route to join their scheme by saying they could only carry out domestic works. This is now known as a 'Domestic Installer'. 

These 5 week courses can in no way cover all the aspects to carry out all domestic works let alone what is required in commercial and industrial installations. 

There was a time before Part P of the building regulations that there were no differences, an electrician was just that an electrician.

Since the eruption of short course domestic installers differences have become most apparent in the knowledge to carry out some works.

Most domestic installers have never worked with three phase supplies and distribution, I have already repaired a motor wrongly wired up by one such electrician, another fault was diagnosed as there was no neutral, when I explained that a three phase motor does not require a neutral I was looked upon like I had swore.

Wiring a house should be pretty simple, but even then some of them get it wrong, get it wrong on commercial and your in trouble.

Our replies Manator are spookily similar. 

I will ill allow you to call yourself an honouree Essex Boy for the next 24 hours.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Good question. 

Our replies Manator are spookily similar. 

I will ill allow you to call yourself an honouree Essex Boy for the next 24 hours.  
:slap   :slap I have scoobed you as well

:slap   :slap I have scoobed you as well
have been sparkin since 1968. just hate the new breed, but we have to live with them, all you can do is photo what you see and send to there providers and hope it hits their conscience

I was only 8 years old when you started. :innocent lots of things have changed since then.

Commercial electrickery does not catch fire, that's why you can still install a plastic CU in a commercial install.
yeh yeh buts whats the difference between commercial and domestic is it the frequency, voltage, wattage, current, how dose it know????

A scoob is given when you consider someone has given a good / informative etc post.

A de scoob is the opposite, so if someone gives bad / dangerous advice or troll type posts then a de scoob can be their award for their efforts. 

just been lookin whats a scoob and whats a de scoob

In layman's terms its our Likes & Dislikes buttons. If we all had a pound for every time that question has been asked we could probably buy enough beer to last Steptoe for two weeks!

Doc H. 

A scoob is given when you consider someone has given a good / informative etc post.

A de scoob is the opposite, so if someone gives bad / dangerous advice or troll type posts then a de scoob can be their award for their efforts. 

I detest the word 'troll'. It seems to be thrown around in forums and used to describe anyone that does not agree with you. 

I should add the members here do not behave this way. 

Latest posts