when is it going to be law

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A better example of what I was getting at would be:C: the car has done 50k the cambelt change is at 70k so you think your fine, but the previous owner was a diy mechanic and changed it himself ahead of time but didnt think to tell you, belt breaks due to his poor workmanship. Still your fault for buying it?
Or in my case, you buy a car from a dealer, who tells you the cam belt has just been changed. Somehow, not trusting him, I decide a new one would be a good idea just to be certain. I book it in with my local decent garage, only to be told it has a cam CHAIN not a belt so it never needs changing.

I was right not to believe a word of the BS from the salesman.

At the end of the day if someone wants to deceive you they will surveys and PIRs can only go so far and all cost money, i think if that person has intentionally done this to gain from it there should be some comeback for them.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 17:15 ---------- Previous post was made at 17:12 ----------

Or in my case, you buy a car from a dealer, who tells you the cam belt has just been changed. Somehow, not trusting him, I decide a new one would be a good idea just to be certain. I book it in with my local decent garage, only to be told it has a cam CHAIN not a belt so it never needs changing.I was right not to believe a word of the BS from the salesman.
Exactly you dont buy a house to tear it to pieces to find out if there are any problems!

Well here's another example.I only went to connect a new electric cooker today.

The house had a "new" consumer fitted just 1 year ago. So you would expect it to be alright wouldn't you? well no. There's a 6 way Hager board with just a main switch, 4 MCB's and 1 RCBO. I'd love to talk to the "electrician" who fitted that so he could explain to me how it meets the requirements of 17th edition.

So I fitted the cooker okay. But he wants me to wire in some extra lights. I now have to explain to him how his new CU does not meet the current regs and that I need to alter it for this job (change mcb for rcbo for lighting circuit)
Ha Ha Dave that will teach you for not having part p in Scotland down hear in England our electrics are perfect thanks to part p.

its simple, make it have you have to be jib approved to join a scheme. easy as that

its simple, make it have you have to be jib approved to join a scheme. easy as that
The JIB lost all confidence in the mid 1980;s, some would argue before that. Nowadays the JIB are a lost dinosaur, trying to claw some respectability by giving membership to anyone who asks.

I tore or rather cut my membership card up many years ago.

:slap

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:32 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:31 ----------

next thing you will be saying we should all join UNITE!!!!!!

:slap ---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:32 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:31 ----------

next thing you will be saying we should all join UNITE!!!!!!

well no. i just think you should have your 2391 and some bloody experience before running off and starting a company half C*****.

that has absolutely nothing to do with JIB,

many years ago I was told I would never ever work in the UK again if I didnt finish my JIB apprenticeship,

less than 5 years ago I returned to the UK and about a year after that the JIB contacted me wanting to know if I wanted a card,

after me having worked in the UK as a sub-contractor loads of times in between!!!! and them threatening me I would never work here again!!!! JOKE DINOSAUR!!!

ban the JIB along with all the other scams.

i didn't do a jib apprenticeship, i did a modern apprenticeship (day release) i do think we need something to show where qualified instead of some city and guilds numbers clients are not going to have a clue about, and i assumed (or they gave the impression) that you need the bits of paper in order to get the card but maby not.

as for ripping it up there's barely a single site that hasent asked for a copy of a jib/ecs/cscs card on induction.

Last edited by a moderator:
i didn't do a jib apprenticeship, i did a modern apprenticeship (day release) i do think we need something to show where qualified instead of some city and guilds numbers clients are not going to have a clue about, and i assumed (or they gave the impression) that you need the bits of paper in order to get the card but maby not.as for ripping it up there's barely a single site that hasent asked for a copy of a jib/ecs/cscs card on induction.
I am the chief electrical engineer for our company and I am responsible for all the electrical design and implications, I do not have a JIB card because I used a large pair of scissors to cut it into small pieces.

Now if, and only if, the JIB decided to continue in the vein that they started, then I just may ask for my card back, but I doubt that will ever happen.

I am the chief electrical engineer for our company and I am responsible for all the electrical design and implications, I do not have a JIB card because I used a large pair of scissors to cut it into small pieces.Now if, and only if, the JIB decided to continue in the vein that they started, then I just may ask for my card back, but I doubt that will ever happen.
Is the JIB definition of an electrician better than part p scams?

Is the JIB definition of an electrician better than part p scams?
with the jib i believe you need your nvq3 + the city and guilds, (thus requiring practical experience) to be graded electrician, and a further 2 years plus your 2391 to be approved.

for part p you just need your city and guilds

i didn't do a jib apprenticeship, i did a modern apprenticeship (day release) i do think we need something to show where qualified instead of some city and guilds numbers clients are not going to have a clue about, and i assumed (or they gave the impression) that you need the bits of paper in order to get the card but maby not.as for ripping it up there's barely a single site that hasent asked for a copy of a jib/ecs/cscs card on induction.
And thats for H&S ******** nothing else. JIB are outdated halfwits trying to make money for doing fark all