Where to look for an apprenticeship?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
your shock is at just what part slipshod?

that I actually pay someone???

fair days pay for a fair days work.... the guy has been in trade for 15years, actually works for himself but as he never done the exams can only do none notifiable work.

in my own mind better than a lot of 'sparks' I know, but he never got the chance of doing college when he was younger,no papers=just a mate.!

and now he cant be ****d/wont/cant afford it, I dont really know TBH.

stuff itX(!! ive had enough of knocking on doors asking for any work as a mate, one did offer me a job of storeman and maybe doing a bit of electrical work. not for me i think! im going it on my own:D!! ive decided the only way im going to get experiance is to bloody do it myself. after trawling through this forum and reading up, im going to do some minor works and get registered with a scheme. niceic sounds like a good organisation, looks professional enoughB). i need a bit of advice from you good people out there, ive got tools and ladders and the like but what do i do about testers. ive got a fluke voltage/continuity tester (t100) but ive been looking at meggers/robins/flukes and they are quite expensive. instalation testers i know you have to buy the decent equipment as you dont want it spitting its dummy out during a job!what do i go for? is the bluetooth worth getting on testers or is it a gimmick, any advice or pitfalls to look out for would be of great help:)thanks

Mark if you think you are a good spark I would suggest going to an employer and saying that you will work for min wage to prove yourself to him.

My best electrician done that and he is still with me 9 years on

he done the same as you 3 years full time college but never worked as a spark, I remember the first day he worked with me, I asked him to chase a few boxes in and he didn't know how to change the bit on a SDS drill, and by the end of the day he said to me that he learnt more in one day than in college for the year. It made him realise how inexpierenced he was. He ended up doing his apprenticeship all over again.

I know that you have a family and all but look at the bigger picture a few years of **** money but then you will be on the good stuff

go for it mark .if it doesn't work u have only urself to blame ,and if u succeed then its all been worth it ... either way good luck my friend ,i hope it turns out well for you ,

ps ill be doing the same in 15 months lol

:^O

go for it Mark, ur not that far from me so if you need any on site or whatever looking at or perhaps just a bit of a 2nd idea give me a shout.

PM me an i'll drop you a phone number, its not premium rate,,, :eek:

im not always right, and sometimes im set in my ways, but i do have a little bit of experience. B)

its like you say mike, if i fail i've only myself too blame! if i suceed, that what makes it worth while! to be honest im looking forward to it all now. i was abit apprehensive about it. i cant wait now, get a instalation tester, put some more hours in at college and at home(head in books) register with a scheme. and who knows what the future with bring! hey i might even finish my house off aswell!! yeh right!!

go for it Mark, ur not that far from me so if you need any on site or whatever looking at or perhaps just a bit of a 2nd idea give me a shout.PM me an i'll drop you a phone number, its not premium rate,,, :eek:

im not always right, and sometimes im set in my ways, but i do have a little bit of experience. B)
thanks alot steptoe:), i'll definately do that. any help is much appreciated. ya never know i might be able to buy you a beer one day:O i'll have to sneak out though, if she catches my having fun and not working on the house i'll have to buy a canoe and disappear for 7 years:^O

thanks alot steptoe:), i'll definately do that. any help is much appreciated. ya never know i might be able to buy you a beer one day:O i'll have to sneak out though, if she catches my having fun and not working on the house i'll have to buy a canoe and disappear for 7 years:^O
:^O :^O:^O

Hi all. I'm a 29 year old Canadian lad who's lived in Birmingham for the last few years and am looking to start a career as an electrician. I don't have any electrical experience as such, but have been working in the oil and gas industry during the winters for the past few years drilling for natural gas. Needless to say i'm pretty safety oriented. I'm currently in touch with the local college's here to decide which one to enroll in for September 08.

The one question I need answering before I commit to which courses I take is; which of the courses offered in England are internationally recognized? My new family and I will be living in England for at least the next three years, but after that we may move back to Canada.

No one seems to have an answer for me at the colleges. I've looked at the city and guild website but haven't had any luck. Can anyone answer, or point me in the right direction?

Also if anyone in the Birmingham area would like a FREE hand on the weekend of the 26th-27th of April so I can get a bit of experience as a sparks mate, please leave a post so I can get in touch with you.

Cheers!

The one question I need answering before I commit to which courses I take is; which of the courses offered in England are internationally recognized? My new family and I will be living in England for at least the next three years, but after that we may move back to Canada.
I'm afraid there is no 'internationally' recognised course, however a UK trained electrician can usually get work in other countries. Some of the middle eastern countries are wired to UK standards as they have paid UK contractors to do the work. Australia and New Zealand are crying out for sparkie's and are welcoming UK sparks with open arms (as I recall on the visa application a sparkie is at the same rating as a Doctor)

Even after the 17th edition and our slow conversion to european electrics the UK electrical standards are the best in the world and other countries recognise that.

So, no, there is no international qualification but being UK trained is possibly the closest you'll get to it!

Cheers for the quick reply Sworld. It's a big commitment to put the time and money into. But more than the money, i'm really interested in the trade. I have a brand new family and think this is the best way to provide a long term comfortable living. Of all the sparkes i've ever talked to, i've only heard of one guy who didn't love their job. But appearantly he would always have electrical burns on his hands and moaned about how he hated it. I suppose i'd be disappointed in my career path if I couldn't stop zapping myself hehe.

Anyways I appreciate the advice and the time taken to give it!

Hi Brandon, I live in Chesterfield, about 60 miles northeast of you. I have family that work for a Michellin subsidiary in Toronto. Once my uncle found out that I was training under the banner of City and Guilds he pled with me to finish it and get my behind over there. As with most countries you will have to do a conversion course to meet codes/standards and the like. I am currently unemployed but have previous experience in most aspects of electrical work. I am hopefully going into business with a friend who I know well from college. We believe that between us, there isnt alot we cant do one way or another.

Regards

Andy

Cheers for that Andy. I'm just about to apply with Matthew Boulton College to start the City and Guild courses in September. I'm fully commited to it and am really excited at the prospect of beginning the process. But through all the research that i've done and the people that i've talked to, there is that one looming dark cloud that I can't seem to ignore....i'm turning 30 this year. It seems to be an industry wide stigma that companies tend to take on the younger guy when given the choice. I saw one post on these forums from a guy that said he'd rather take on a 30 year old guy with a family and a mortgage than a 17 year old, but it's still making me worry. I hope it all pans out for me. Wish me luck!

Brandon

Brandon dont worry, thats the first thing. Alot of firms are employing older students as they have more of a grip on life and reality than some 16 yr olds. Also, I personally would pay a mature student more, and they want it more than a school leaver more often than not.

Andy