which test equipment is best

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjones

Reaction score
hi, i am currently looking to purchase my first multifunction test equipment, can someone give me some advice in which would be the best buy, (its for domestic purposes) thanks.

I use a megger MFT1552 myself, I've never had a problem with it.

second choice would be a fluke.

I have always used fluke and found them reliable and easy to use, but I suppose its what you get used to. However, I also like the features on the Megger mft's so might have a look at these when upgrading to my next tester.

Agree with all the above

I learnt testing using Fluke 1652's So when I went solo This is what I bought.

Secondly and more importantly the Fluke is all yellow and a nice colour all one colour.

The Megger is multi coloured do you really want that ?

Agree with all the above I learnt testing using Fluke 1652's So when I went solo This is what I bought.

Secondly and more importantly the Fluke is all yellow and a nice colour all one colour.

The Megger is multi coloured do you really want that ?
colour wouldnt make much difference to me. as long as it works and its not a fluke

:^O

I've got a megger 1502!!!!! ;) I have tried a Fluke, but didn't get on with it..

So where do you go from here,,,try and get hands on with the various ones and see which you like the best
Bit like women, get your hands on a few (ask nicely first though, dont just grab cos thats not cool!) then decide before you commit yourself :)

Mft1552 for me too as learnt with this. Easiest meter to use and get on with. Had a go of a fluke and didnt like it. Have a go of both and make your choice. Megger are English I believe and fluke are American?

Megger 1552 and will upgrade to the new Megger if more 3P work comes in.

Great kit, never had a problem.

Like all MFT's - tends to chomp through batts if used extensively.

Colours - yep I like them as its very easy to see where you are on the instrument - espiecially when in tight corners -and its British!!!!

Fluke,

second choice would be a Metrel .

megger british? do you mean its put in the box here? cos I find it hard to believe all the parts are british, do we even make components in this country now?

oh, and if it is then Im not surprised, its the same as the British motorbike and car industry. :slap

I like Kewtech, dislike Fluke and never tried Megger

Megger is good cos a lot of the tests start automatically when you make contact (like continuity) unlike metrel and kewtech were you have to press a button. This can be difficult when having to hold and keep good contact with all three leads.

The kewtech wants you to use all 3 leads including neutral when doing Zs and Ze tests, even when on a non rcd circuit. I found this quite a pain.

Megger 1552 for me. Did a course and were using Flukes and Meggers and found Megger much easier to use. Had it a few years now and no problems to date!

i use the megger MFT 1552. Great kit, use loads of batteries tho.

ian

Cant understand why some people slate or cant use a Fluke! I think they are so easy to use and I have never had any problems with mine.