Who do i have to notify when fitting new db?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1pacino

Reaction score
Hi guys,I have just bought a house and its got an old distribution board so I am going to change it to a new one,I'm not registered with any schemes as I am working in maintenance at moment, I have 2330 L2 and L3 and 17th Edition. Who if anyone do I have to notify about this work?

Many thanks in advance

thanks for the quick reply Andy, am I right in thinking that I do not need to be Part P registered as I have 2330 L2/L3/17th Edition and that I can test and inspect the property myself and sign it off as a competent person. Also does it cost to notify LABC?

yes it costs to notify. you either need to be art p reg to self cert, or notify labc. being qualified makes no difference if your not part p reg'd. but it may make notifying labc easier

as far as i am aware the only people who can sing off work is......

the people who are approved with a scheme eg nic eic and napit.

and let labc know about it as previosy said

cheers

Hi, Al Pacino , As the others have said , under this wonderful government scam, oops sorry, scheme, you need to be registered with a competent persons scheme or you have to ask your local Building control to pass it off . In Birmingham they charge around

as far as i am aware the only people who can sing off work is......the people who are approved with a scheme eg nic eic and napit.

and let labc know about it as previosy said

cheers
Your first statement is no strictly correct!

Do NOT get confused with the TWO certificates:-

1] An appropriate Electrical certificate as per BS7671.

and

2] a Building regulations Part P compliance certificate.

Any competent person can install test inspect & sign an appropriate electrical certificate regarding the work they have done.

It is the Approved scheme member or LABC who will sign ('actually register detail on-line') for the issue the second one.

:D ;)

Hi guys,I have just bought a house and its got an old distribution board so I am going to change it to a new one,I'm not registered with any schemes as I am working in maintenance at moment, I have 2330 L2 and L3 and 17th Edition. Who if anyone do I have to notify about this work?Many thanks in advance
Notify LABC

but tell them you are competent and will be doing your own testing & certification.

You issue them with a copy of your EIC..

Providing they are satisfied then they will issue a Building regs compliance cert.

See Page 11 of approved document P

"Certification of notifiable work"

paragraphs

b.

& 1.23

gives all the procedure! :)

Approved document P is downloadable...

theres a link on the forum somewhere???

shh!!!

I hear the sound of Patches little hooves tramping through the soft snow as he goes off find a link! :) :xBlushing

:coat

Last edited by a moderator:
If it helps any further, I am not a qualified electrician only part P compliant and I do not belong to any scheme. All I do is notify LABC and include a Cheque for

Andy I have tried three times to reply to you but having problems at the moment either computer or site ??
Computer. I can see your replies.

As I mentioned in the other thread, clear all your cookies etc... I would imagine that is the root of all the problems you are experiencing here.