Whos job is it to mount an electric shower

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparks-2012

Reaction score
Hey guys

Been asked to put a supply to an electric shower. The plumber has told the client he needs an electrical cable there before he does his part.

I was hoping he would mount the shower and do is plumbing then I can come back entry from the airing cupboard behind and connect the cable into the shower.

He could get there a few days before but now he can't make it till after ive been. Seems as if he's putting off going until I've done my part and I've got the impression he's expecting me to mount it on the wall. Speaking to the customer I'm not getting much out of her of what the plumbers expecting.

From your experience do you normally mount the shower and do you bit or does the plumber mount the shower then you connect it up once it's on the wall?

Thanks in advance

It helps when you know all the local plumbers and can talk to them and work with them.

With services coming through the wall from the airing cupboard you could mount the shower to the wall before either came, either the tiler or the home owner could do it so they get the shower exactly where they want.

If the plumber is insisting you come first, then you would have to come back later to connect it. If you come first and mount the shower to the wall you could come first.

Or a better idea that works especially if you know the plumber, is you both turn up at the same time.

It also helps to be multi trade. For a replacement shower I will do the plumbing bit of the swap as well as the electrics.

If you mount the shower it's in the correct place for your cable. It's upto the plumber to make the water fit then.

I usually just run the cable to the same place as the pipe and then see who wants to do what. I've got to take the cover off to test so always check the connections at that point.

Already gave a price for 1 visit. I don't mind mounting the shower but just curious as he keeps dodging going first.

At the minute the walls half tiled and half plastered and don't think they are taking the tiles all the way up so the shower will be mounted on plaster.

Could be the reason the plumber dodging mounting as he doesn't want to mount it straight to the plasterboard and the client doesn't seem very clued up regarding things like this

It also helps to be multi trade. For a replacement shower I will do the plumbing bit of the swap as well as the electrics.
I assumed this was commonplace? Are we really saying that to swap an electric shower requires visits by two tradesmen? As a competant DIYer I'd happily do that in my own home. What about boilers? I assumed you did the power to the FCU and then plumber wires up boiler and stat etc...

Hey guys

Been asked to put a supply to an electric shower. The plumber has told the client he needs an electrical cable there before he does his part.

I was hoping he would mount the shower and do is plumbing then I can come back entry from the airing cupboard behind and connect the cable into the shower.

He could get there a few days before but now he can't make it till after ive been. Seems as if he's putting off going until I've done my part and I've got the impression he's expecting me to mount it on the wall. Speaking to the customer I'm not getting much out of her of what the plumbers expecting.

From your experience do you normally mount the shower and do you bit or does the plumber mount the shower then you connect it up once it's on the wall?

Thanks in advance

Soldering copper pipes is no more difficult than soldering copper cables..

Compression fitting copper, (or plastic), pipes is no more difficult than compression clamping a SWA cable onto a gland...

Push-fit plastic/copper pipes are a walk-in-park, that can be done blindfold with one hand behind your back....
(or up your wife's blouse!..... or down your husbands trousers if your are a lady-spark... or any combination of the above if you are an LBGTQ electrician.... I guess there must be some flexible / multi-gender type persons out there and I don't want to upset anyone?!)

Basically I am happy to do installation or replacement of Showers, Central heating valves/pumps, immersion heaters etc...

Any appliance that has an electrical connection I will willingly also do the relevant plumbing and issue electrical certificates where appropriate...
Why let someone else take easy money that you could be earning???

I assumed this was commonplace? Are we really saying that to swap an electric shower requires visits by two tradesmen? As a competant DIYer I'd happily do that in my own home. What about boilers? I assumed you did the power to the FCU and then plumber wires up boiler and stat etc...
This is the norm for replacing existing showers. Running new pipes is different, basically because of the insurance, ie my business insurance is for electrical works, not plumbing. Not that I don't occasionally do a bit of plumbing if it's simple.

For boilers I make all the electrical connections and the plumber does the water and gas (or oil) usually working at the same time. I am usually present for first firing to check the controls work. I don't think I have yet met a plumber who has wired a 3 port mid position valve correctly. And none of them understand how to test if the controls are working.

I plumbed my whole self build house as well as wiring it, no gas here, Air source heat pump.

The plumber can mount the shower, pipe it up and leave a hole behind for the cable. Common sense.

For boilers I make all the electrical connections and the plumber does the water and gas (or oil) usually working at the same time. I am usually present for first firing to check the controls work. I don't think I have yet met a plumber who has wired a 3 port mid position valve correctly. And none of them understand how to test if the controls are working.

I plumbed my whole self build house as well as wiring it, no gas here, Air source heat pump.
I have seen some plumbers do some amazing pipework. Then they try the wiring. They fit it badly behind hot pipes, then use white cable to highlight how bad it is. I told one to use black plastic conduit and treat it like another water pipe giving it space. He did, now his installs are very much professional looking.

Soldering copper pipes is no more difficult than soldering copper cables..

Compression fitting copper, (or plastic), pipes is no more difficult than compression clamping a SWA cable onto a gland...

Push-fit plastic/copper pipes are a walk-in-park, that can be done blindfold with one hand behind your back....
(or up your wife's blouse!..... or down your husbands trousers if your are a lady-spark... or any combination of the above if you are an LBGTQ electrician.... I guess there must be some flexible / multi-gender type persons out there and I don't want to upset anyone?!)

Basically I am happy to do installation or replacement of Showers, Central heating valves/pumps, immersion heaters etc...

Any appliance that has an electrical connection I will willingly also do the relevant plumbing and issue electrical certificates where appropriate...
Why let someone else take easy money that you could be earning???
Doing the bits like piping up a washing washing with pipes adjacent is fine. But doing a design, sizing and fit of a large complicated water and heating system I would leave that to the professionals.

To all Sparkies, when doing pipes ensure they are well clipped, not hanging in mid air.

Each shower change is different (if you are working with a different plumber).
My last shower involved 2 visits as the plumber asked me to completely disconnect it and make it safe for him to work on, which is a reasonably request.

He then fitted the shower, bringing in the cable where I had asked him to do so.

I then 2nd fixed and put the cover back on the shower.

I think communication is the key. Get the plumbers number and just have a quick chat through the job so that you both know each other's expectations.

I once engaged a plumber to install a boiler where I had done the preparatory plumbing. He said he could see I had done it because a plumber would never clip it so well !
I've heard that one before from someone I know who did a similar thing