Can I wire a bathroom LED mirror from the old electric Shower cable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whilst some wiring regulations are open to interpretation, other basic essential safety aspects are not...

The checking & verifying that supply characteristics and earthing bonding arrangement are adequate before any type of electrical alteration temporary or permanent has been around for over the 20years that the OP said they had been working.. (in older regs books it was 130-09-01.) this is not 'a new' RCD/RCBO/Surge Protection/AFDD debate topic. People have died due to faults on installations where checks on earthing has clearly been skipped!

Anyone who is a member of any of the electrical trades bodies Napit / Elecsa / Niceic etc.. who has to have their work inspected annually will be well aware that one of the first, (if not 'The' first), thing that you are asked to verify at the installation being inspected are the earthing and bonding arrangements etc..

And I would guess that anyone who has had any formal electrical training, (attaining relevant C&G qualifications), will have had this basic essential drummed into them, over and over, during the course of their training..? As it is not an optional nicety that can be omitted because you are too busy, forgot, couldn't find it, didn't know I had to check.. etc..

So if a "professional trades person" admits to doing various electrical alterations for paying customers, and has had contact with numerous electricians over some 20 odd years...
But has to ask on the internet about connecting conductors of different sizes...?

And also claims to have never come across any electrician who issues electrical certificates, (Not forgetting that during the early stages of Part-P, {2006->2013}, all work in bathrooms & kitchens in England also required a building regs compliance certificate!).

It does make you wonder who these other contactors are..?
And how this work is getting its earthing, bonding, earth loop impedance etc.. checked?
{ This is not a homeowner doing a DIY replacement light fitting job in their own house.. }

I would be very interested to know how you would word a response, in what you describe as a 'nice bedside manner', to someone who is charging customers for their work, yet appears to be quite probably out of their depth?

Should we just spoon feed answers to anyone and everyone..?
While ignore essential safety checks that other professionals have to comply with...?
Should we avoid stating any key essential facts or list or quote industry standard guidance and/or wiring regulations...?

Do you think that because the OP is a plumber they should omit checking the earthing arrangements?
Skip doing any formal inspection and testing?
Not bother with any electrical certificates?
And just bang in a fused spur, take the money and disappear?
As you never actually offered any practical answers to the original question..?

Far too often on the internet when people don't see the answer they wanted they start moaning about people who give "factually correct" answers to the questions posted..
With claims about being up their own arses, insecure, unhelpful etc...

Or stupid claims about electricians not being interested in small jobs.. which is tosh!

Last Friday afternoon I called in to swap a security alarm battery.. £25.00
17 May.. supply & fit replacement PIR sensor for shed light.. £45.00
25 May.. Replace faulty bathroom cord pull switch £38.30
28 April.. Supply and fit replacement 6ft LED tube £40.00
Which in my book are all "small-slot-in-between-other-sort-of-jobs-work", within a 4mile radius of home!

I will do any size job, for an appropriate cost and do all industry standard tests and issue all industry standard certificates applicable for all my work etc..

And I will answer any questions to the best of my ability, knowledge, experience, as factually correct as I can, based on my personal experience of being fully qualified to current wiring regulations, a member of an industry recognised trade body, with access to suitable calibrated test equipment, having appropriate insurance and copies of relevant documents for the work I undertake. And being self employed since Feb 1999.. You can be confidently assured insecurity is not an issue.
Blimey, I rest my case m'lud! :)