Adapting Summerhouse Electric's

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pacman52

Reaction score
Hi, I would be grateful for some advice on a project I am just about to undertake. I've been reading through lots (LOTS !!) of forums and am a tad confused as to where I stand on this so would be really grateful for 'plain English' advice !

I am just about to turn our summerhouse into an office / recording studio.

Currently I have a cable coming directly from my main fuse box with it's own RCD, running into a twin socket in the garage, from this socket there is armoured cable (6mm I think) running through the garage wall along to the Summerhouse, where its currently feed two double sockets and 1 wall light. (All of this was installed by a qualified spark and certified)

With the new Summerhouse set up I will require multiple sockets at least 20 plus heating & lights (prob led down lighters)  I will have at least 2 pc's, approx. 7 monitors, A small studio mixer, and CDJ players (compact disc players), plus powered speakers and other general office stuff like Shredder, scanner phones etc etc.

My line of thought is to put in a small consumer unit into the Summerhouse and run the feeds off this internally through the studding before the Summerhouse is insulated and boarded. (I appreciate I don't need the CU in there but putting one in will make the wiring a lot easier to run for me because as it stand the current wiling is under the Summerhouse externally)

I am more than capable of doing this work myself and would be confident it would be safe (installation wise) My main concerns are

The draw on the feed if I had everything on at the same time (which is possible).

Do I need this modification certified If I do it myself

I am more than happy to call my usual spark back to do it but as always that will incur costs and what is already turning out to be a costly project.

I would be very grateful for any advice anyone can offer.

Many thanks

You need to properly work out the total load you expect.

Only then can you work out if the existing cable, taking into account it's length, is capable of supplying that, or if it will need replacing with something bigger.

Start at the beginning, design what you need, then see if what you have is any good to continue to be used for the new setup.

Great thanks Dave, I'm assuming this means looking at each 'device' and seeing what it would draw power wise and simply adding that up?

Yes indeed, that's your starting point.

You also talk of insulating the summerhouse. Please take care not to bury the cables in the wall insulation otherwise they will need to be derated.

Thanks again Dave.

The insulation is a foil backed type that simply gates stapled to the studs - the current plan is to Wire, Insulate and then plaster board does this seem ok or should I consider putting the wiring in after insutlation ?  

"I am more than capable of doing this work myself and would be confident it would be safe (installation wise)"

Hum......

Guy Fawkes night isn't too far in the distance - I would guess a summer house would make a good fire! Time to buy some fireworks?

How exactly is that response helpful Murdoch? You don't know me, you don't know my capabilities.

You make an assumption that my statement is somehow untrue based on no knowledge of me whatsoever. I therefore make the assumption that your a small minded idiot who somehow feels superior enough to belittle people's genuine requests for help without actually having the decency to offer anything constructive to the thread. I see from your profile that you are denoted as a 'Senior Member' Well if that's how 'Senior Members' respond to posts on this forum perhaps I made a mistake in joining it.

Maybe take a leaf out of the Junior Member's way of helping people (see ProDave's replies above) if you do, it may actually make you feel good to know that you have actually helped someone but somehow with people like you, i.e. small mined, I doubt you have the intelligence to work that out. (That's me assuming you are as stupid as you assume I am by the way).

There are some that fall over themselves to 'help' people that say they 'are more than capable' of carrying out electrical work by giving out advice that took us years and years of doing nothing but electrical work to understand. Many DIYers such as yourself have really no understanding of what theory goes behind ensuring a safe and proper installation is put into user. Just because someone owns an insulated screwdriver, can tighten up terminals and understands that brown is live, blue is neutral and green/yellow is earth does not mean they are competent. Far from it. A little knowledge is dangerous.

Thank you Essex1,

A perfect and totally correct response which I fully understand and agree with and a response that does not seem to ridicule the originator of a thread (me in this case) Perhaps Murdoch will read your reply and take a hint on how can and should explain things.

Where I don't agree with you though is where you say "Many DIYers such as yourself have really no understanding of what theory goes behind ensuring a safe and proper installation" ...again you assume you know what my capabilities are, which of course you don't.

For the record I have never undertaken (or would undertake) any work electrical or otherwise without being 100% sure I knew it was safe. If I had ANY doubt I would always call in a professional. The main purpose of my original post was to find out if this project was within my capabilities and if I was legally allowed to carry it out if it was.

Thank you Essex1,

A perfect and totally correct response which I fully understand and agree with and a response that does not seem to ridicule the originator of a thread (me in this case) Perhaps Murdoch will read your reply and take a hint on how can and should explain things.

Where I don't agree with you though is where you say "Many DIYers such as yourself have really no understanding of what theory goes behind ensuring a safe and proper installation" ...again you assume you know what my capabilities are, which of course you don't.

For the record I have never undertaken (or would undertake) any work electrical or otherwise without being 100% sure I knew it was safe. If I had ANY doubt I would always call in a professional. The main purpose of my original post was to find out if this project was within my capabilities and if I was legally allowed to carry it out if it was.
I suppose (for me) the type of questions you ask, says to me (a qualified electrician) that it would appear that you have very limited knowledge of how to do even the simplest of circuit design. Now to any competent person circuit design is the most fundamental task involved in carrying out our work so if anyone can not complete simple cable calculations and understand what they mean I would say they should not be doing the task. You would not see me asking for advice on a forum about how to remove a structural wall for instance. Also you say you would you be '100% sure' that your work was safe. How would you achieve this? You are correct that we I do not know you. But you do not know me either. Nor any other member. We could all be chancers for all you know but you take things on face value don't we?

Thank you Essex1,

OK matey.

I earn my living off this profession.

I don't hand out step by step guides to people like you!

Try getting legal advice free off a solicitor, a design off a surveyor, .........

Better just to say nothing then?

No not really........ I've read so many of these threads, these muppets come back for more and more and people hand out their expertise for nothing - and most of them would like to earn more - its sheer madness. If you have a skill use it and sell it .... but giving it away on the web, not my approach.

Essex1 fair point on the 100% comment in hindsight that does read wrong in the way I've worded it. If I had any doubt on anything I did I would have it checked.

Murdcoh wow a reply without taking the p**s well done ! Just one question though if you don't hand out advice to people like me why are you on this forum? Ironically I'm a solicitor and you'd be surprised at the amount of free advice I give to people because not everyone can afford professionals such as yourself.  

No not really........ I've read so many of these threads, these muppets come back for more and more and people hand out their expertise for nothing - and most of them would like to earn more - its sheer madness. If you have a skill use it and sell it .... but giving it away on the web, not my approach.
Then I ask again WHY are you on a forum such as this ??

ok, I tried to post earlier on this, but my page refreshed and I couldnt be arsed doing it again,

imho, for what you are wanting to do in your summerhouse/studio, I'd say your supply method was wrong,

I'd be wanting a feed straight from the consumer unit with 100mA protection, NOT 30mA

small CU in shed/studio with preferably 30mA DP RCBOs installed to give some separation of circuits, sounds like some of your kit may have inherent high leakage,

only my tuppence though,

and, you may need to go up a cable size depending on the run length,

deffo needs a bit more calculation done on loading and instal method though.

another thought may be to do your install in surface, black conduit and metal clad fitting should look good for something like this.

you may also want to take into consideration your earthing type too, especially for sensitive electronic equipment.

Essex1 fair point on the 100% comment in hindsight that does read wrong in the way I've worded it. If I had any doubt on anything I did I would have it checked.

Murdcoh wow a reply without taking the p**s well done ! Just one question though if you don't hand out advice to people like me why are you on this forum? Ironically I'm a solicitor and you'd be surprised at the amount of free advice I give to people because not everyone can afford professionals such as yourself.  

Then I ask again WHY are you on a forum such as this ??
Don't take it personally pacman. Our industry is in the gutter and it just frustrates some members when other members just dish out fee advice to unqualified members on one thread and then complain about 5 week wonder electricians and poor workmanship on the other. I agree with Murdoch 100% with how he feels on this subject but the debate should remain polite and healthy.

ok, I tried to post earlier on this, but my page refreshed and I couldnt be arsed doing it again,

imho, for what you are wanting to do in your summerhouse/studio, I'd say your supply method was wrong,

I'd be wanting a feed straight from the consumer unit with 100mA protection, NOT 30mA

small CU in shed/studio with preferably 30mA DP RCBOs installed to give some separation of circuits, sounds like some of your kit may have inherent high leakage,

only my tuppence though,

and, you may need to go up a cable size depending on the run length,

deffo needs a bit more calculation done on loading and instal method though.

another thought may be to do your install in surface, black conduit and metal clad fitting should look good for something like this.you may also want to take into consideration your earthing type too, especially for sensitive electronic equipment.
100mA????

protect the cable,

ye, you could go 300 or 500,

but for domestic I like to keep it simply and easy,

keeps all the 'installers' busy reading regs when they come to EICR, can you imagine the fail rates they would be giving out if we started putting 500s on domestic jobs,?  :shakehead