Wiring to a summerhouse

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJC

Reaction score
Looking for some advice for wiring a summerhouse which is sited about 40m from the main house, with an old stone garden wall going almost the full distance between.
Power to the summerhouse at the moment is, when needed, via an extension cable going from an external outdoor weatherproof RCD socket at the house end - and through a window into the summerhouse.
Power is currently used for thinggs such wifi hub, alexa plug, 4 x10w light bulbs a small speaker and charging mobile phones / devices , with the extension socket being 4G.
The ultimate plan is for the summerhouse to be professionally wired - hopefully later this year though maybe next year - to allow a microwave and electric heater to be used.
To replace the extension cable in the short term, I plan to run some conduit along the stone wall with an arctic cable to the rcd socket , along with a wifi cable.
If I could buy/ route another cable within the conduit, in readiness for the electrician to use, I could possible save some money.
My question is (1) is the prep work worthwhile ? (2) what size conduit is advised ? and ,(3) what size / type cable to run within it ?
Any advice / guidance would be appreciated
Many thanks
DJC

Last edited:
Looking for some advice for wiring a summerhouse which is sited about 40m from the main house, with an old stone garden wall going almost the full distance between.
Power to the summerhouse at the moment is, when needed, via an extension cable going from an external outdoor weatherproof RCD socket at the house end - and through a window into the summerhouse.
Power is currently used for thinggs such wifi hub, alexa plug, 4 x10w light bulbs a small speaker and charging mobile phones / devices , with the extension socket being 4G.
The ultimate plan is for the summerhouse to be professionally wired - hopefully later this year though maybe next year - to allow a microwave and electric heater to be used.
To replace the extension cable in the short term, I plan to run some conduit along the stone wall with an arctic cable to the rcd socket , along with a wifi cable.
If I could buy/ route another cable within the conduit, in readiness for the electrician to use, I could possible save some money.
My question is (1) is the prep work worthwhile ? (2) what size conduit is advised ? and ,(3) what size / type cable to run within it ?
Many thanks
DJC
Anything other than properly installed fixed wiring is only to be considered as temporary. Extension leads plugged in to a socket are not worth any effort to install in conduit and, as a pro, conduit is not something I would consider. My advice is there is no point doing anything else. Let the professional electrician decide on best solution. They will most likely be using steel wire armoured (SWA) cable anyway.

Why not an armoured cable clipped to the wall?
Thank you for your reply. I had considered armoured cable with the idea of terminating it at the house end onto a waterproof connection box, then running flex to to the RCD plug for my current low amp requirements. I appreciate this wouldnt be ideal but if terminating onto a RCD would seem safe ( I am clearly not an electrician ), with an electrician then rerouting the armoured cable to the house consummer unit.
Would a 42 Amp rated, 4mm 3 core armoured cable be suitable for the 50m distance and future power requirements of a microwave and electric heater ?
Many thanks
DJC

Would a 42 Amp rated, 4mm 3 core armoured cable be suitable for the 50m distance and future power requirements of a microwave and electric heater ?
A lot will depend on your future requirements now and what your future future requirements become as you use the summerhouse
While current carrying capacity of the cable is important you also have to consider the volt drop a 50m run carrying 20A would probably need a 10mm² 3 core cable

Thank you for your reply. I had considered armoured cable with the idea of terminating it at the house end onto a waterproof connection box, then running flex to to the RCD plug for my current low amp requirements. I appreciate this wouldnt be ideal but if terminating onto a RCD would seem safe ( I am clearly not an electrician ), with an electrician then rerouting the armoured cable to the house consummer unit.
Many thanks
DJC
Thats a bit of a blank spec sheet really, what rating of microwave, what type of heater and wattage? As UNG said, you need to consider the volts drop on the cable over the distance at the current youre expecting to load it with.

Many thanks
DJC
"Arctic cable" is rated for 110V not 230V see https://electrical.theiet.org/media/1592/the-use-of-arctic-cable.pdf

Many thanks
DJC
If your CU already has RCDs you don’t need or want another in line.

To the OP - get an electrician in, and quit with the scrimping money doing it cheap, and I dont really know what im doing angle. This stuff can kill you.

Is your house supply TN-C-S is it TN-S what ever if your sending power out to an outhouse id be looking at the very least doing it as a T-T. keeping the earths seperate and ensuring that the cable is selected for the right load and distance of the cable run. Id run the cable back to your cosumer unit.