Why does everyone hate PAT testing??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L-E_Fault

Reaction score
Having never done any PAT testing just wondering why everyone hates it so much, I understand from other posts its boring so whats involved in an average day PAT testing?

Does anybody actually like PAT testing?

Is it a good earner?

It's just the most soul destroying task in the world.

The problem is it has been made into a semi skilled job thanks to auto PA testers.

I still PA test using a Megger and an ohm meter. A screwdriver is also useful to check the plug terminations and the fuse size.

Nuff said.

Most pat testers are plug and play, press a button and you have a pass or fail.

There are no requirements to have any formal training, unless you have to do testing for local authorities etc, and then it is only the main person or responsible person to actually hold the c&g certificate.

I have the certificate so I could employ anyone to do the testing on my behalf.

The problem lies in the way the tests are carried out,without any electrical training a test which a auto tester would record a fail, would automatically be recorded as such by an untrained portable appliance tester, he would have no reason to doubt his tester.

However when you are an electrician, and used to testing you can see there are many reasons why some equipment could record a fail, when in actual fact are very safe to use.

I think most electricians do not like portable appliance testing,because they see it as an absolute futile experiance.

I did a test not long ago where a reputable company had previously tested the appliances and recorded the correct details, but failed to record the correct fuse ratings at the plugs, this said to me that they had assumed rather than tested.

Its another area much open to abuse, I have even seen socket outlets with pat test pass labels stuck to them WTF?

Is there any money in it or is that another reason why people don't like it?

It can be time consuming if done correctly.

There are companies who do nothing but pat testing and they are very succesfull.

To be honest it is a bit above the adverage electricians remit, best left to the minimum wage pretend electricians that this country is full of.

I complained about the tester who had done the testing in the NHS premises in which I used to work, as he had failed a 2 way, 3 pin socket adaptor block because it "had no fuse". He happily replaced it with his company's own, identical, still unfused, 2 way 3 pin socket adaptor block...

headbang

Also took great pains to half peel off all the previous company's stickers...

Talk about job creation.

It's just the most soul destroying task in the world. The problem is it has been made into a semi skilled job thanks to auto PA testers.

I still PA test using a Megger and an ohm meter. A screwdriver is also useful to check the plug terminations and the fuse size.

Nuff said.
I`m not going to get into this too much, but, with respect, you do not have sufficient testing capabilities to do more than a "basic" class 2 appliance.

Tim77 - Usually, you have to cost "per item" to be tested. Remembering they can be spread out throughout the building, companies charging as little as

KME.

This is why I don't get involved with PA testing. It does not interest me either.

Just take what I said in the light hearted way it was intended.

Nuff said.
same here. i rarely do PA testing. mostly because people can get a sticker cheaper elsewhere

I must be on my own then, as I don't mind doing it, I have a fluke 6200, an ipod and away I go. On the money side I charge

Most pat testers are plug and play, press a button and you have a pass or fail.There are no requirements to have any formal training, unless you have to do testing for local authorities etc, and then it is only the main person or responsible person to actually hold the c&g certificate.

I have the certificate so I could employ anyone to do the testing on my behalf.

The problem lies in the way the tests are carried out,without any electrical training a test which a auto tester would record a fail, would automatically be recorded as such by an untrained portable appliance tester, he would have no reason to doubt his tester.

However when you are an electrician, and used to testing you can see there are many reasons why some equipment could record a fail, when in actual fact are very safe to use.

I think most electricians do not like portable appliance testing,because they see it as an absolute futile experiance.

I did a test not long ago where a reputable company had previously tested the appliances and recorded the correct details, but failed to record the correct fuse ratings at the plugs, this said to me that they had assumed rather than tested.

Its another area much open to abuse, I have even seen socket outlets with pat test pass labels stuck to them WTF?
Until something goes wrong then the person doing the actual testing has to prove they are competent to do it, the site I work on for a facilities company the site SAP will not let any electrician to do PAT testing unless they have the necessary C & G PAT certificate.

I actually do this for a living now.. :eek:

(Electrical work, on the side:D)

I drive up to 150 miles+ in a day to test a handful of machines (Vacuum cleaners/floor buffers).... ROTFWL

Still, it's nice to visit unknown destinations good or bad. When so many never ever travel more than a few miles from home (One day to the next, annual holidays aside).

Life eh? Don't you just love it] :)

extension15

Actually I have a confession to make.

A company that operates in my area doing nothing but PAT testing, refused to test a computer room, the reason thay gave was that the room was fed from socket to socket via extention leads, so potentially overloading any individual socket.

When I was called in to have a look, I saw extention leads fed from 1.5mm twin and earth, clipped and cable tied to the desks, feeding extention leads:)

So I guess some reputable companies do and can make a difference.

MY hat is raised to those who did the testing.

About the stickers being put on socket outlets, part of the PAT test ritual is looking at the sockets themselves. If they are cracked/damaged then any equipment plugged into them is unsafe!

However, yeah, PAT testing sucks!

About the stickers being put on socket outlets, part of the PAT test ritual is looking at the sockets themselves. If they are cracked/damaged then any equipment plugged into them is unsafe!However, yeah, PAT testing sucks!
failing a piece of equipment, because it may be plugged into a faulty socket? what if its then re-located to a different socket? or even passed at one location and plugged into a faulty socket?

i think the worst you can do in this situation is make a note that the socket is faulty and should be repaired, and not plug anything back into it

KME.This is why I don't get involved with PA testing.
When I do PA testing I'm walking up and down a stage saying '1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1'!

I don't do '1,2,1,2' because I'm not a 'roadie'. ;)