Why has my Dimplex storage heater stopped working?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DNO = District Network Operator.

The people that supply the electricity connection to your property and maintain the distribution network.

They are not necessarily the same people that you buy your electricity from.

And yes Batty could be right it could be the switch that's failed. We won't know until Santa brings you that meter.

Thanks Batty & ProDave.

Am off for Christmas now, so speak to you after that, when I will hopefully have a new multimeter!

Merry Christmas to everyone who has responded to my post so far.

martyh

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. Wasn't sure which ohm setting to use or quite where to connect but since only the ohms setting of '200' showed results, I probed the left screws vertically and then the right screws vertically for readings. I had a reading of 0.6 on the left screws and 0.6 on the right screws on the ceramic block you mentioned. Not sure how this fits with the readings you suggested I may get.

On the terminal block I got the same readings for both the blue wire screws and brown wire screws. (0.6)

regards,

martyh

You need one probe on one of the left screws, and one probe on one of the right screws, tell us what reading that gives.

And the second test, one probe on the blue wire and one probe on the brown wire.

Tried getting a reading from the ceramic block screws, one probe to left screw and the other to right screw (tried both upper and lower) - and got nothing at all.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 16:43 ---------- Previous post was made at 16:39 ----------

Nothing from the terminal block either (one probe on the blue wire and one probe on the brown wire).

Thanks oldtimes - I have an instruction leaflet - but thanks anyways.

martyh

Then your heating elements are open circuit.

They won't have both failed at the same time, probably one failed some time back and you didn't notice the reduced heat output, and now the second has failed, you get no heat at all.

Remove the dozen or so screws, lift off the front cover, take out the front row of bricks and you will see the elements which both need replacing.

Just to be sure ProDave - when I switch to the 200 ohm setting (probes not connected) a 1 appears in the left of screen - I am assuming this is normal.

yep,

that would normally mean over-range,

if you then touch both the probes together it should read very very close to zero.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 17:39 ---------- Previous post was made at 17:38 ----------

[sorry for butting in Dave]

Afirmative steptoe - when probes touched together reading drops to 0.4/5.

I will remove the bricks tomorrow and see if I can find some competitively priced elements over the next few days.

Thanks again to everyone for your advice and assistance, especially ProDave - will let you all know how I get on.

martyh

martyh,

if you want to give ProDave a little extra thanks (as he has indeed gave you a very good tutorial IMO ), go to one of his posts and click on the little star to the bottom left, :)

Just to add further information (I was in a hurry last posting)

Each element should read about 68 ohms (I've just tried measuring a spare one)

So the 200 ohm range is fine. If one element was good, you would have got a reading of 68 ohms give or take little. If both were good, you would have got a reading of 34 ohms, give or take a little.

The fact it shows no reading, shows both elements have failed.

Here's some on ebay: dimplex storage heater element | eBay

There are a few different types, so check what yours look like first before ordering.

Ask also at your local electrical wholesalers. They might well be cheaper and they might have them in stock,

Once you have removed the front row of bricks, to remove the elements, just slacken off the top two screws in each of the ceramic connector blocks and lift the element out.

Excellent idea steptoe - done - you included.

martyh

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 19:27 ---------- Previous post was made at 19:20 ----------

Great ProDave. Have searched a bit deeper and think these look to be the right ones at first glance :-

DIMPLEX CREDA UNIDARE NIGHT TIME STORAGE HEATER ELEMENT 850W XT832I BRAND NEW! | eBay

but I have emailed them and will send a photo, just to make absolutely sure. Have also emailed 3 local electrical wholesalers (all within reasonable walking distance) as well. Thank God Christmas and the kind peeps on this forum came to my rescue - else I would have had to wait a while to afford new ones - not to mention the money that your good advice has already saved me! Awesome.

martyh

:worship

Those elements do tend to feel like they are loose, but that is quite normal.

Just a thought, while you have the front off why not remove the elements and confirm that they are in deed faulty - resistance test "pin to pin" should give you a reading of about 64ohms per element.

Most 850W elements have exactly the same form factor so should fit.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 12:14 ---------- Previous post was made at 12:12 ----------

Looking at the compatable part numbers it does seem that those elements will fit.

Thanks NozSpark - Just done that now whilst both out and got no reading again. What exactly is it that fails in them?

martyh