Win 7 Registry Issue?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mate cameround to me with his Acer laptop today. Running Windows 7 Home Premium. It boots up (eventually) to give a login screen with 5 log in options. Him, his wife, two daughters and "Guest". For whatever reason his was the only one that required a password but now when trying to log on he just gets:

"The User Profile Service failed the logon. User Profile cannot be loaded"So, typing in his password which he hasn't changed just gets the message above.

Typed "Regedit" at Start and got as far as looking in the profiles accessed via the "Windows NT". Seems his profile has been changed to a .bak extension. 

Any ideas? No doubt a common one to the cleverer people here. I even had a quick go with chntpw using an Ubuntu Live stick.

All I could do was send him away with an Ubuntu 12.04 Live USB so he could access and get his data.

Cheers

Canoeboy said:
Ok - Here is why it happened - Its WINDOZE - Windoze does what it wants when it wants - Thats 2 major difference between WINDOZE and Linux/MacOSX

This is the best option in a previous post of mine

http://talk.electricianforum.co.uk/topic/24598-windows-pants/?p=336517

This is a M$ tech not on the problem if you really want to sort out the windows issue and then have further issues down the line :slap

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215/en-us
Cheers. Yep, saw that MS link already eralier today and tried Method 1 to no avail. Wouldn't let me rename the files to .ba or .bak. I wonder if he doesn't have an admin account on there.

Most people have problems with windows because they cannot resist playing around with settings.

Now with the other OS's out there, they don't have anything to play around with to start with.

Which of the accounts is an Admin account?
This is going to sound daft...........how do I tell? I thought it came up under their name if they were? I think he WAS the only Administrator!

For some reason I thought that I could make individuals Administrators using chntpw.............

Last edited by a moderator:
Canoeboy said:
Not True with OSx (or Linux)

A Photo speaks a thousand words  :innocent

attachicon.gif
Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 10.59.54.png
Ok, you know a lot more than me so I will agree, however you don't hear of many Mac owners rebuilding, they buy a new machine, after they remortgage. :pray

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, you know a lot more than me so I will agree, however you don't hear of many Mac owners rebuilding, they buy a new machine, after they remortgage. :pray
most SERIOUS Linux owners build their own OS using the Linux kernel,

me, I just use what Ubuntu gives me and tweak it a little to suit my own use,

btw, NO remortgaging for me, a FREE OS on given to me machines  :D   [new lappie screen cost me 43£ tho,  :eek:   ]

well.

I guess Im a komputor genius then. must be all the lessons Deke and Brian have been giving me,  :C

Ive never ever had any issues with Linux since Ive been using it,

windoze, on the other hand,,,,,,,

well,

why do you think I started drinking,,,,,,,?

and NO, I cant afford a MAC, not even a raincoat one,  :(

Latest posts