Wired video doorbells

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIY GUY

Reaction score
What’s everyone’s thoughts on the arlo wired video doorbell?
Are they easy to install if I have all bell wire in place.

Attached is my bell transformer but comes with a new one pic also attached.

Thanks

Attachments

• 0CE8D0C8-2130-4DA3-B404-851F9DE2C64F.jpeg
    0CE8D0C8-2130-4DA3-B404-851F9DE2C64F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • E9573FC5-2C87-484E-92BE-83BE576EEA02.jpeg
    E9573FC5-2C87-484E-92BE-83BE576EEA02.jpeg
    187.8 KB · Views: 0
Since you ask...........
I have been to homes that have video doorbells (visiting) Press button, wait, wait, wait, wait some more, then speak. I can understand why couriers walk off, the idea is good, but they take too long to answer. Do you walk with your phone glued to your hand all day? I don't.

Also most such devices charge a fee if you want to keep a copy of the recording, the cost is never going to come down, also most do not provide end to end encryption (Means it is not as secure as you would hope, so can be watched by anyone who can hack it)

Nice in theory, not good in practice, I would save your money and buy a CCTV system with an NVR

Do these bells only let you know someone is pressing the bell with a phone notification? Can they not work like a normal bell, when someone presses bell chime goes off?

As it's a "video doorbell" there is nothing to make a sound like a "Normal doorbell" so it sends your phone a notification.

Ring sell an additional device called "Chime" for £30 or the "Chime pro" for £50

I think, some, not all video doorbells have an option to operate an existing doorbell, but you wont have that, as you have to take out the existing to fit the video doorbell

Oh, and the other thing to consider, if you are in a poor signal area, your phone will not receive a notification, (Obviously, but its something to consider) Also if the doorbell company goes under, you have just lost your functionality. Several home automation kit providers have gone bust already, so has a EV car charger company, but they have a reprieve