Wireless Monitor

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apache

Cow Fiddler ™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaps,

We have an ultrasound scanner at the surgery that uses a wireless CCTV monitor to display the image. One of our clients managed to drop this monitor onto the floor today killing it. :(

Can anyone suggest where we may get a replacement or an equivalent?

It's a "Santec B/W CCTV Monitor" model "MM-9"

See attached image for exact spec.

:D

monitor.jpg

It's just a standard 9" black and white monitor. I can get you one sorted if you want, might even have a\some second hand ones if you want?

If you just want to source it yourself then just find one and buy it and plug it in.

The only thing is when you say wireless, I assume you mean the wireless receiver plugs into the video input on this monitor?

Nothing plugs in to the monitor. The only connection at the back is the power.

It is possible that the company that supplied the scanner have modified the monitors internal components!

See attached image - only 'kettle plug' used

monitor 2.jpg

You`ve NOWT else plugged into it?

Oh, bother!!

I`d say there must be an internal reciever; fitted by scanner company.

Odd; I wouldn`t have thought it was worth the bother; even a little rubber aerial on the BNC would`ve been summat!

If it were me, I`d take it apart - the "modified" bit should be fairly easy to spot........

See how it connects; and carefully remove it, to be replaced in another generic monitor?

(if you do take the back off, PM the photos over mate. (bonus - looks like I`ll be up in wetherby, doing TPN boards within the month..... could manage a "detour" if necessary.....)

KME

Right, most likely that the internals have been modified then. I would imagine just a wireless receiver taking mains from the inlet and then video out directly onto the video in plug from the rear.

I'm not aware of any Santec wireless monitors, and Google is obviously somewhat vague about the specifics, but I am fairly confident it is just a wired monitor with aftermarket adaptions by the company that supplied it to you.

If you want to send me the monitor I can soon take a look and swap the relevant bits into a new one if required. I'm up and down to North Yorkshire over the next few days. Could pop in\meet up or something if preferred.

Not at the practice until Monday when I will have to explain to the boss the circumstances of the accident! (farmer did it - really nice guy, really sorry).

Will open her up then and we shall see

:)

Managed to find a bit of info on the MM-9 which suggests it is just a standard 9" B&W monitor as per my suspicions so the wireless bit is an add on by someone somewhere.

dig the wireless receiver out of it retro fit to new monitor ;)

Guys, took the thing to pieces today :D

Shows monitor 'topless' with the wireless add on stood up at the back

IMG00022-20100208-1632.jpg

You can see it from the rear with the line of phono jacks - not visible under the cover.

IMG00024-20100208-1632.jpg

Once I removed the two screws holding it to the frame, you can clearly see the only connections are two pairs of red/black wires. I have labelled the pairs 1 and 2 to clarify what is being discussed

IMG00025-20100208-1641.jpg

A close up of the two pairs of wires

IMG00026-20100208-1641.jpg

End on image

IMG00027-20100208-1642.jpg

You can see pair of wire "2" going to the tube

IMG00029-20100208-1642.jpg

Same PCB from back

IMG00028-20100208-1642.jpg

The fate of wire pair "1" on the main PCB

IMG00030-20100208-1643.jpg

My summation would be that the pair of wires "1" supply the power to the board and pair "2" send the picture

My thought at the moment would be to remove the module and mount it in a separate enclosure, giving it its own power supply and a lead to connect to a separate B/W 9" CCTV monitor.

My new questions:

* is the power to the module going to be 12V dc?

* what sort of imput is normally hard wired at the back of a CCTV monitor (phono/coax?)

Am I missing something?

My thought at the moment would be to remove the module and mount it in a separate enclosure, giving it its own power supply and a lead to connect to a separate B/W 9" CCTV monitor.
Doesn;t sound a bad idea. If there are only 2 pairs connected to the board then it sounds likely the above is true.

Fairly certain that is a standardish receiver, and I think I fitted some for a kit we made. They were definitely 12VDC. I'll try and find the info or some pics.

My new questions:* is the power to the module going to be 12V dc?

* what sort of imput is normally hard wired at the back of a CCTV monitor (phono/coax?)

Am I missing something?
I would guess the unit is 12V, possibly not though. Does the board provide any power, can you not just fire it up and measure it? I have a variable bench power supply, sometimes on unknown kit I just start at 5V and see when it comes on and works.

As for the input, most if not all CCTV monitors will have a BNC input. For interconnecting the external receiver and a new monitor then pretty much any cable with phono - BNC will do. I have loads of phono - BNC leads here that I may have slightly over ordered. I'll send you one up if you want. Could probably find a selection of 12V power supplies as well if you want one of those as well?

Fairly certain that is a standardish receiver, and I think I fitted some for a kit we made. They were definitely 12VDC. I'll try and find the info or some pics.I would guess the unit is 12V, possibly not though. Does the board provide any power, can you not just fire it up and measure it? I have a variable bench power supply, sometimes on unknown kit I just start at 5V and see when it comes on and works.
All the ones I can find online seem to be 12V DC. I will power it up on Wednesday and take my multimeter.

As for the input, most if not all CCTV monitors will have a BNC input. For interconnecting the external receiver and a new monitor then pretty much and cable with phono - BNC will do. I have loads of phono - BNC leads here that I may have slightly over ordered. I'll send you one up if you want. Could probably find a selection of 12V power supplies as well if you want one of those as well?
I may well take you up on this! Will check the voltage and then send you a PM!

Any suggestions for a basic CRT 9" monitor - preferably somewhere online. Could do to be cheap in case I blow it up with my experiments.

boom

BTW guess how much the scanner company want for a new monitor with the wireless capability?

Any suggestions for a basic CRT 9" monitor - preferably somewhere online. Could do to be cheap in case I blow it up with my experiments.
I don;t think there's any danger of that, the only thing that could go a bit bang is the wireless rx. ;)

Santec was sort of half decent budget stuff so TBH anything you can find at the right price would do. Just find something online, probably all mad in the same place anyway!

BTW guess how much the scanner company want for a new monitor with the wireless capability?

Check CPC for a cctv monitor looks like its a uhf modulator as well, how far away from the sensing unit could you go before it was broken, before losing image on screen.

also looks as if a red and black onto back of bnc jack on chassis which is video in to the kn kked moniter.It should be voltage dropped to 12volts.

not quite sure what printed circuit the power is comming of if it is the one on the back of the tube beware when powering up even though it is no picture.there will be a kick in there some where.

Will look at pictures again best of luck and rubber gloves.

Power comes from PCB underneath the tube. The wires to the back of the tube are for the picture.

Sadly CPC don't list a 9" monitor anymore :( (there is one in the cat)

Has to be a 9" CRT to fit the carry bag!

It doesnt look like a wireless recevier i think your scanner is just sending a signal out and that modulator is getting the signal.

Is the copper wire from the aluminium chassis to the chassis of the monitor.

As all you have is the normal AV phono inputs.

Try a portable telly next to the scanner with the scart conection near it and auto tune see if you get an image.

Only problem is the new monitors are better screened.

There is an adjustuble pot next to the ceramic resitor do not move it incase it is the

rf pot.

How far could you be from the scanner before picture loss.

It looks just like a poor ref screened modulator.

Best of luck I will look and see if there are any scrap monitors at work in the skip.

Usually work just systems elsewhere upgraded.

You had signal for only about 15 metres. Not especially strong.

The module I describe I'm 99% sure isn't original. If there were 3 phono sockets available, you would mount them in the case so they were accessible, no?

Let me know if you find anything!