wireless router

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should have installed DD-WRT, and then jacked the transmit power up to 100mWThey were more than likely using WEP security, crackable in as little as 10 seconds depending on the password used.

You sure weren't cracking WPA in any reasonable time frame (even if the user did use a standard word for the password), and you sure as s**t ain't cracking WPA2 encryption in your lifetime.
Im sure the nazis said that (or something similar) about enigma.......

Im sure the nazis said that (or something similar) about enigma.......
I'm sure if you have the processing power of a Cray supercomputer, AND the user has used a simple word as the passphrase, AND you have a suitably precompiled hash table (which would probably be around 50GB in size).....you might crack it inside of 2 years or so if you leave it running 24/7

I'm sure if you have the processing power of a Cray supercomputer, AND the user has used a simple word as the passphrase, AND you have a suitably precompiled hash table (which would probably be around 50GB in size).....you might crack it inside of 2 years or so if you leave it running 24/7
Make of it what you want, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Access but the way I read it i dont think anyone will bother hacking your wi-fi if you have either WAP or WAP2 unless your part of MI5. Your more likely to get hacked via having poor firewall and anti-virus.

Anyway wireless still has not got the bandwidth and reliability of wired even if you use Tri-band units etc.

What bugs me is seeing a home office setup where they have a wi-fi router with 4 ethernet ports no more than 3 feet away from the pc and they still use wi-fi WHHHHHYYYYYYY and they say I dont think this 8mb broadband is that fast, use the f-in patch lead ya divX(.

Anyway wireless still has not got the bandwidth and reliability of wired even if you use Tri-band units etc.
Oh I dunno, my youngest sees continuous 11MB/sec transfer rates from my NAS box (hardwired) to his desktop machine upstairs - which is faster than what a 100Mbit wired setup will achieve.

I dont really know much about computers as Im sure you know,

but if its anything like anything else electrical, then what you see is very rarely what you actually get.!

no idea how 11MB/sec relates to 100Mbit so you see this is IMO what pc people do to BS if they dont have a good arguement, keep changing the measurement points......

not at you direct KW just in general, gets confusing after a while, never mind boring when I just wanna know what is better for the normal person, not the technonerd.

no idea how 11MB/sec relates to 100Mbit so you see this is IMO what pc people do to BS if they dont have a good arguement, keep changing the measurement points......
8 bits = 1 byte

b = bit

B = byte

A 100Mbit hardwired network can (in theory) shift 12.5MB/sec, however the real life transfer rate of a 100Mbit hardwired network is around 9MB/sec after all the overheads have been taken in to consideration.

I just wanna know what is better for the normal person, not the technonerd.
All depends on your hardware as to what's best.

If all your devices have Gigabit interfaces, then hardwired is the only way to go to get full speed.

If some (or all) of your hardware is using 100Mbit interfaces, then the only way to see those speeds on wireless is to go for the 'N' rated kit.

Note that the above only matters if you are transferring data from one machine to another.

As far as broadband speeds go, 'G' rated wireless hardware is more than sufficient to keep up with even the fastest broadband packages out there.

Oh I dunno, my youngest sees continuous 11MB/sec transfer rates from my NAS box (hardwired) to his desktop machine upstairs - which is faster than what a 100Mbit wired setup will achieve.
Sorry lost me on that one you've got a Nas Box hardwired to a desktop where is the wi-fi in this setup? or is it me being thick.

thanks KW

but I think it just hardens my point about PC people trying to blind us non types with science.

I did understand your point, but for someone in a shop (example) listening it would be pure gobbledegook would you agree.?

still, it just strengthens the argument pro hardwired,! else change all your kit and still get slow speeds, and the risk of someone hacking you.!

(remember, the enigma code was IMPOSSIBLE to hack!)

Sorry lost me on that one you've got a Nas Box hardwired to a desktop where is the wi-fi in this setup? or is it me being thick.
Sorry Ian, that was a bit misleading now I have read it back.

My access point is connected to a network switch, along with the downstairs devices (PC's, NAS boxes, etc) that are also hardwired to the switch. The switch is then connected to a hardware firewall, which in turn is connected to an ADSL2+ modem which provides the internet access.

The wireless access point serves the kids computers & games consoles which are located upstairs in their bedrooms.

but I think it just hardens my point about PC people trying to blind us non types with science.I did understand your point, but for someone in a shop (example) listening it would be pure gobbledegook would you agree.?
The punter could say the same about electricians, plumbers, mechanics, etc.

still, it just strengthens the argument pro hardwired,! else change all your kit and still get slow speeds, and the risk of someone hacking you.!

(remember, the enigma code was IMPOSSIBLE to hack!)
Wireless 'N' kit is 2

good info KW, thanks.

why cant the guy in the shop just explain it like that,?

next point, any clues as to how to open up a port on a mobile dongle?

I have mobile internet in my garage and when I use torrent it needs me to open a port,

AFAIK I have opened it on my exceptions list, and on my dongle, but it still keeps telling me it does not appear to be forwarded......

Im lost, is it cos its a USB dongle?

When you say "mobile dongle", am I correct in assuming you mean a wi-fi card (or stick in this case) as opposed to a true mobile dongle which uses the mobile phone network to dial up and make the internet connection?

If so, port forwarding is done in your router.

Let me know what router you use (make & model), as well as the operating system being used on the machine in the garage.

Try using the torrent download out of the busy times.

Most commercial providers choke the torrent ports and even close the ports to enable the bandwidth to be maintained for everyone.

The busy times are usually 3:30 till 11pm every day.

Then weekend mornings.

After those times the ports are released.

Nothing to do with your router or set up.

Do what I do and you'll get the best bandwidth and quickest downloads.

1. Use VUZE definitely the best torrent download.

2. Set it away around 11:00pm and then stop it entirely at around 3:00pm the following day. This means stop it in the system tray also!

3. Sometimes ISP monitor the usage and continue to choke the torrent port no matter what the time. If this happens simply renew your IP by re-booting the router (power it down and up).

Oh by the way don't tell anyone this or the choking will continue for longer hours!

Nothing to do with your router or set up.
Unless you have prior knowledge of Steptoe's hardware capabilities, I'd say that's a rather bold statement to make.

@Steptoe,

While port blocking at the ISP's end is becoming more common, it is also quite possible that your router does not support UPnP (Universal Plug & Play) - or it does and you have it disabled.

If I were you I'd get an Easynews / Astraweb / Giganews account.

Once you've used newsgroups, you'll wonder why you ever bothered to pi$$ around with torrents in the first place.

Another alternative (if you don't want to pay the

Unless you have prior knowledge of Steptoe's hardware capabilities, I'd say that's a rather bold statement to make.If you take the statement out of context then yes it is, but take it with the other previous sentences and it makes complete sense.

Forums are not a place to qualify and joust your intelligence against others.

You know what I described is probably the reason.

In any case its the obvious first try before going deeper, isn't it?

These readers are electricians not computer geeks, which is why they ask the simpler questions on this forum hopefully and patiently expecting simple step by step intelligible answers.

These readers are electricians not computer geeks, which is why they ask the simpler questions on this forum hopefully and patiently expecting simple step by step intelligible answers.
Thanks for that calltronicsApplaud Smiley, I thought I'd asked a simple question but I got lost after about reply 2:_|. Correct me if I'm wrong but the general thoughts apear to be put up with the cable modem. :)

Forums are not a place to qualify and joust your intelligence against others.
I don't do pi$$ing contests, I grew out of that by the time I left school.

You know what I described is probably the reason.
Steptoe's original query implied that he only noticed the problem on one particular PC (his "garage" PC).

Maybe we both ought to take a back seat and wait for more info eh?

thanks guys,

it is a proper mobile dongle, as in the mobile phone thingie, but not a phone if you know what i mean. !?

my wi fi doesnt reach my garage, :_| well barely but very unpredictable so I got this, its really quite good apart from downloading torrent.

I know what you say about newsgroups but for all I ever do its not even worth it TBH,

I have even tried turning my firewall off (I know) to absolutely no difference in speed.

Im back to running windows on this PC cos I thought maybe linux was the prob.

hope you guys can help or am just being totally thicko here???

It's sounding very much like ISP port blocking as suggested by Calltronics, try using different ports in the Torrent client.

If I read you right you're laptop connects to the internet through a mobile provider such as T Mobile or 02.

If that is the case then forget using torrents most mobile providers block the ports in order to free the system bandwidth for "real users browsing" to quote there comments.