Wires into consumer unit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingeri

Reaction score
Hi all

I have two consumer units next to each other. One is unused and has been switched off for a few years. It has the cables for the old storage heaters attached to it. When we had central heating put in, this consumer unit obviously became redundant. The 4 cables are, however still connected. This CU is also connected through the a day/night Economy 7 radio timing switch, so can't be used for anything else at present. I have had a close look at this CU and have a couple of questions.

1. The main live and neutral going into the CU from a large black, square junction box go to the two terminals on the RCD/switch. The left terminal is marked 'N' (which I presumed was Neutral?) but the cable going to it is brown.....that doesn't make sense to my simple mind....unless I'm missing something.....is this correct. It is a Niglon CU.

2. Would it be OK to reroute the cables and bypass the radio timer so the CU can be used for other things? The other CU is also connected to a large black, square junction box as well. Can both CUs be connected to this JB?

3. What are those square JBs called?

This is for info only.....I wouldn't touch any of this stuff myself!

Many thanks.

The large junction box is a double pole connection unit sometimes called a Henley block (Other makes are available)

Yes your old Offpeak Consumer Unit could be connected directly to this to enable 24 Hour supply to those ex storage heater circuits.

It would be best to contact your supplier and get them to remove the Eco 7 Tele switch and do this for you.

If you are still on Eco 7 tarriff with no Storage heating you will be payiong extra for the day rate and would be better of on a standard single rate tarriff.

What about my concern over the polarity?

I asked a few years ago for the Eco 7 teleswitch to be removed, but the supplier wouldn't do it.. I'm not on Eco 7 any more, just have to give day/night reads each month, but get charged the same for both.

The big black box may be Henley blocks or could be a old school contactor... They were massive back in the day

Hi allI have two consumer units next to each other. One is unused and has been switched off for a few years. It has the cables for the old storage heaters attached to it. When we had central heating put in, this consumer unit obviously became redundant. The 4 cables are, however still connected. This CU is also connected through the a day/night Economy 7 radio timing switch, so can't be used for anything else at present. I have had a close look at this CU and have a couple of questions.

1. The main live and neutral going into the CU from a large black, square junction box go to the two terminals on the RCD/switch. The left terminal is marked 'N' (which I presumed was Neutral?) but the cable going to it is brown.....that doesn't make sense to my simple mind....unless I'm missing something.....is this correct. It is a Niglon CU.

2. Would it be OK to reroute the cables and bypass the radio timer so the CU can be used for other things? The other CU is also connected to a large black, square junction box as well. Can both CUs be connected to this JB?

3. What are those square JBs called?

This is for info only.....I wouldn't touch any of this stuff myself!

Many thanks.
The most practical solution is get an electrician round to identify what is what and divert any tails so that you can utilise your other CU if you wanted to and if it is still electrical safe and compliant with current regs. Whilst he or she is round there, they can identify your 4mm cable in your kitchen as well. .http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/question-answer-board/19088-kitchen-cable-4mm-imperial.html Kill two birds with one stone as they say! Though in reality it may be more economic to just get an electrician to come and upgrade your fuse box for a multiple RCD/RCBO model that is compliant with current regs. You could buy a fully equipped CU for

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd have to agree with the Doc, but would go further than his diplomatic reply and strongly recommend you call in an electrician. It would seem you are doing or contemplating some serious electrical work and your lack of technical knowledge in this area is a cause for concern.

I'd have to agree with the Doc, but would go further than his diplomatic reply and strongly recommend you call in an electrician. It would seem you are doing or contemplating some serious electrical work and your lack of technical knowledge in this area is a cause for concern.
Honestly, there's no way I'd touch anything on or near the CU.....I promise! Got an electrician coming on Friday to sort it out for me. I am just interested in knowing what's what before he comes, after I had a bad experience with a spark a few years ago.