Wiring an Infrared Lamp

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GalileoGalilee

Reaction score
Hi guys, i bought an infrared heat lamp for curing paint/lacquers etc but when it arrived it had no mains plug on it. It has only 2 wires coming out of it neither marked positive or negative with connectors that look strong enough for a car stereo speaker let alone a 500w 240v heater. It also came with absolutely no literature so I'm really in the dark on this one.

Can anybody advise on how I could wire this up to a mains lead so I can use it?

I've included pics sorry they are a bit hazy (on iphone).

IMG_0597.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

I'm thinking just wire the 2 wires to the negative and positive of a generic 13amp mains lead and see if it fires up. But I'll wait for advice before I do this.

looks like its designed to be installed into something else. also, the case looks like it would need an earth.

i doubt you can safely get those cables into a plug. your prob going to have to install a box, and then flex to a plug

best contact the supplier and get more info on this

Hi that looks like a dodgy appliance!

Is it from the far east?

Ebay?

If that is a metal case then it is unlikely to be a Class 1 appliance (Double insulated)

In which case it requires a earth connection in addition to the Live and Nuetral.

I have worked in a paintshop and I have to agree with fellow posters, the item you have is a replacement "element" designed to be installed within a housing with all control wiring in situe. The cables you have shown are the plug in type, the earthing is central and provided by the chassis of the unit via bolts.

It is not a stand alone unit.

As above.

and if it was sat on a combustible surface, as appears in the piccy, at 500watt there would eventually be a bit of smoke about the place.

a1Spark