Wiring Diagram Barn / Workshop

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No you don't need to be a genius to do either your barn/workshop, nor the houses of parliament, but there are some things in common, and some things specific to each individual location.

I'll give you one last example, is the origin of the supply in your barn?

Does your barn have any extraneous conductive parts?

What is the supply type to the property?

Please come back with the answers to these questions, as they are fundamental to getting the design of the barn install correct and compliant.
Not sure what you mean is the origin of the supply in the barn , the 3 phase 80A fused isolator gets fed from the supply were the DNO comes into ( it is another building next to but not connected to the barn building) .

There is Earth Rods both ends of the building , ( one side of  house also )  one  goes to the main earth for the supply to the building from the 80A ( yes I did say 83A sorry ) breaker in the building  were the DNO supply comes in , the second Earth rod goes to the 3 Phase Fused isolator in the Barn / Workshop . 

supply type I am not sure what you mean I think it is T T System ! , that is why we had to have Earth rods 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as a side note...

All the max permissible earth loop impedance figures in the tables on pages 55->57 in your book....

Have now all been altered in the current amendment..

So it is possible some of your design calculations may be wrong?

I am not sure many competent electricians would be wiling to do Construction and testing to an out of date design though?

Changed that for you ;)

Just as a side note...

All the max permissible earth loop impedance figures in the tables on pages 55->57 in your book....

Have now all been altered in the current amendment..

So it is possible some of your design calculations may be wrong?

I am not sure many competent electricians would be wiling to do Construction and testing to an out of date design though? for a customer who's micro managing the project?

By Guys I am off to bed , you all have tired me out , 12 or so on to one here ,  some have to work for a living to pay for the expensive work some sparkies charge for , similar to plumbers , well not has bad as them rough's .

By Guys I am off to bed , you all have tired me out , 12 or so on to one here ,  some have to work for a living to pay for the expensive work some sparkies charge for , similar to plumbers , well not has bad as them rough's .

Hopefully you won't come back.

Is Yorkshire in a different time zone? It’s 23:50 here in Nottinghamshire.

By Guys I am off to bed , you all have tired me out , 12 or so on to one here ,  some have to work for a living to pay for these expensive work some sparkies charge for , similar to plumbers , well not has bad as then rough's .

We all have to work for a living...

and we still give our time free to help people like you to understand the errors of assumptions as presented in questions posted...

Occasionally we do get people who don't like to be told that they have missed out a fundamental basic concept from their proposal...

Some listen and take heed..

others try to insist that we are the ones who are wrong...??  :C

either way...

we still offer free, accurate, constructive guidance about how to go about solving the problems that people with all sorts of background and abilities bring to us.

Probably the best solution is just photocopy your designs..

post them off to three local electricians

and see what quotes you get back.

Guinness

No..

Amendment 2 was 2013

Amendment 3 was 2015

it will be page 390 (I think?) in that out of date version you are using!!!

(but that example certificates in you book have now changed a bit. )

:shakehead

You don't need to be a genius..

but you do need to keep up to date..
question is this page 414 answer YES

It must be,,, she recons that BS7671:2011 (amd1) is an up to date reference book

It must be,,, she recons that BS7671:2011 (amd1) is an up to date reference book
12 or so on to one here , means 12 of you lot onto one of me , read before you reply , and I knew the BS was out of date , someone asked if I had a copy  and I said yes which I do , they did not say have I got a up to date one .

OK 2920 days and 10 minutes behind the times.
Go to bed 

question is this page 414 answer YES

erm....   re-read post 40..

Borrow a copy of BS7671:2008 Amendment 3:2015,

have a look at the electrical installation certificate on page 414

This is one of the reasons we are extremely expensive and charge our customers loads and loads and loads....  :innocent

we can read....  

and we keep up to date with the current regs... :Salute

Now of course...

Had I been a genius...

I would have saved money and just kept using old regs  :C

Will see tomorrow if there is any Polish Sparkies in north yorkshire to see what quote they will give .