Wiring Diagram Barn / Workshop

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
misssweden said:
Enough of the sexism please. I am not qualified to comment on the OP's design, however her ability or inability (which in this case it is, judging by the comments) has nothing to do with her gender.

I quite agree!

Just because they say they are female, it doesn't mean that they actually are female .......... anyway, all this thread goes to show is that unless the OP was more forthcoming and actually answered questions constructively, it may have been more productive .......

Betty out of interest where in our green & pleasant land would this installation be taking place?

Well I would just go for a 3 phase board why muck about with submains to single phase boards?..............unless you are going to be renting out the rooms?

Emergency lighting?

Fire/smoke detection?

Not sure what you are doing in area 13

View attachment Doc7.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I quite agree!

Just because they say they are female, it doesn't mean that they actually are female .......... anyway, all this thread goes to show is that unless the OP was more forthcoming and actually answered questions constructively, it may have been more productive .......
Anne Wilson

Oh well, i am bored with all this now. Stupid cow obviously thinks she knows it all.. No proper electrician will take the job on anyway, so it will end up been done by cowboys/foreigners, and then, guess what. If and when it all goes tits up, two things will happen;

1, They will have to get a proper electrician anyway.

2, Someone could very well end up getting killed and then they will get done for manslaughter. [especially when we read about it in the papers and then send this thread to the coroner...]

john..

Well I would just go for a 3 phase board why muck about with submains to single phase boards?..............unless you are going to be renting out the rooms?

Emergency lighting?

Fire/smoke detection?

Not sure what you are doing in area 13

View attachment 7508
It is all just my workshop and garage , area 13 is a small loft area , area 11,9,7 are dog kennels and area 3 is my office .

Well " LURCH" by name LURCH by nature , you did not like my thread from first post , asking for advice on a simple wiring drawing , you just give me negative remarks , I ain't bothered about about chauvinistic "humour" , I can give it and take it , out off all the posts on this thread at least 50% have not helped me with my drawing , you would think it was for a residential home or something .

It is only for my garage / workshop that is all it is , the sparky who "WILL" be doing this job will not be do anything , "  to end up getting anyone killed and then "ME" getting done for manslaughter " that remark is so OTT , the wiring  as per my drawing will end up a 1000 times better than it was ! .

It is only for my garage / workshop that is all it is , the sparky who "WILL" be doing this job will not be do anything , "  to end up getting anyone killed and then "ME" getting done for manslaughter " that remark is so OTT , the wiring  as per my drawing will end up a 1000 times better than it was !

Yes, it may well be an improvment, but that STILL does not mean it will comply with the regs.. Now, as YOU will have signed for the design, who do you think will be getting the blame if there is a problem?? If you are NOT going to sign for the design, then an electrician will have to do all the calcs himself, and you will have wasted a lot of effort for nothing, that is all we are saying..

john..

As the end user you don't need to be involved too the degree you think you need too be. 

As a sparky I would need to know where you want your sockets, what they are going to be used for, where you want your lights and how you want them switched. 

I would suggest that you heed the advice that the remaining 40% of posts have given you and then do a drawing on an 'as installed' basis which will be both compliant and correct to what you want. 

I'm sure you will throughout the install ensure that it provides you with what you need afterall it is only a workshop and personal spaces? 

Where on your drawing is the incoming supply?? Is it a DNO cutout or a submain fed from somewhere else?? You see the "old" 3P DB, how do you know that this is suitable??

john..
Hello John 

As I said already ( if you read all the posts ) "  I am attaching a revised drawing that I am going to hand to the Electrician and say this is basically  what I would like to be done , then we will walk round together and discuss the matter in hand " , I would think the Sparky would Suss that out  , and again if you read all the posts ," the 3 phase 80A fused isolator gets fed from the supply were the DNO comes into ( it is another building next to but not connected to the barn building) .

As the end user you don't need to be involved too the degree you think you need too be. 

As a sparky I would need to know where you want your sockets, what they are going to be used for, where you want your lights and how you want them switched. 
Yes I do want to be involved , is it only Sparky's that think only them can get involved with a customers job ! .

As I have already stated , quote  "  I am attaching a revised drawing that I am going to hand to the Electrician and say this is basically  what I would like to be done , then we will walk round together and discuss the matter in hand "unquote .

Well that sounds reasonable enough, so long as you are open to suggestions and for gods sake make it clear that it is not a spec sheet you are giving them but just what you THINK will be ok. Make sure you make clear that you were only guessing at cable sizes and the like and they will need to check everything especially as regards earth fault protection and shock protection..

john

Well that sounds reasonable enough, so long as you are open to suggestions and for gods sake make it clear that it is not a spec sheet you are giving them but just what you THINK will be ok. Make sure you make clear that you were only guessing at cable sizes and the like and they will need to check everything especially as regards earth fault protection and shock protection..

john
Hello John

A fully qualified Electrician will  carry out the work , He or She ( dread the thought )   hopefully  will do all that needs to be done ,Install / Test etc .

Well I feel that now I am getting some nice replies thank you .

So I will say I am going to finish posting here , at least if nothing else we have all had a good ole talk on it  , keep good,  have enjoyed our talk/discussion .

ps: When I get this first part done , I will get the sparky to post on here what He has done , ( will make it a must as part of the job ! ) .