Wiring in garage

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norv

Reaction score
Hello all

Just wiring an extension at the mo with a garage below. All cables clipped direct in the garage. Whats the regs on cables in a garage ? Do they have to be protected by anything, like conduit for example or is it just for aesthetic reasons ?

Clipping is fine but if they are within reach of kiddies or in an area where they are likely to be subject to damage ie workshop they should be mechanically protected .. conduit or mini trunking .. and in any case it does look smarter ..

the only other thing to consider is cables going into accessories and not making the hole too big ... the finger test ... dusty garages, etc ... best way to prevent that is sealed conduit entry ...

Thanks for confirming that. I put a spur into a garage the other day & clipped direct & then my gas safe mate went round & fitted a boiler & said I should have put the cable in proper fire rated conduit, which i thought was a bit over the top so I just wanted to check....

Cheers:D

did my garage a few months ago

trunking up to beams assessor said it was spot on

ill post some pics in a bit

I almost always like to mech protect any cable, garages can be used for all sorts of things apart from parking a car, the majority of garages I have been in are just store rooms.

I hate looking at clipped direct cables with steell ladders leant against them, and cable runs with tools hanging from them.

Incidently I code clipped direct cables on a PIR.

I hate looking at clipped direct cables with steell ladders leant against them, and cable runs with tools hanging from them.
You still stalking me or something GH? Stop looking in my garage :p

Latest posts