Work in London

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian932

Reaction score
We are doing some lighting control and automation for a client near to st pancras station, they wanted us to do the wiring but we don't want to tie ourselves up on a job this far from our core work.

We had a meeting today and suggested we post a thread on a forum we use to try and find him an electrician.

The job is a five story house being converted into a 9 unit apartment hotel. There is 3 phase and single phase work. I would ask that only forum members registered with the forum for 2 years and 250 plus postings reply to this thread. Sorry but this is so I can establish your competence by looking at some of your past threads.

If we put you forward to our client you will be working direct for them and not us, our Client has asked that we produce all the technical information for the electrical and automation systems on a consultancy basis.

The client did have an electrician but he was not happy to wire a non conventional lighting system, he only wanted to be involved in wiring it using 2 way and intermediate circuits.

If you have any pictures of your work please pm me and I will give you our email address to forward them to.

Many thanks guys. Admin I did not put this in the jobs section as I would prefer this be seen by members only, if it needs moving to another section feel free to move it :D :D

Normally i would jump at an interesting job like this, but what a terrible area to work in. LEZ & congestion charge, astronomical parking fees if you can actually find somewhere & a high possibility your van would have the locks punched out within the hour and condoms hanging off the mirrors. The only way would be to price the job up with a guy on site 5 days a week plus 2 weekly visits by myself. Even wholesaler charge extra for deliveries in that area. If your really stuck drop me a PM as we do a lot of KNX and similar stuff .

We have done a number of projects in the central London areas, the price quoted reflects the problems encountered I doubt that it would be viable for us to do as we do the design and installation. If you are running the job as the project management then I would suggest subcontracting to local electricians, but would need you to be on site probably more than you would like to be.

Would pass comment but I've been ruled out by entry criteria:coat
You may be a great spark but ian has his reputation to uphold, I think the 'entry requirements' are cleverly set out. Although you never know if you can prove your worth you may be given a shot.

You may be a great spark but ian has his reputation to uphold, I think the 'entry requirements' are cleverly set out. Although you never know if you can prove your worth you may be given a shot.
I note Sellers that you have noticed that I'm a great spark without meeting so Ian should have nothing to worry about then. Guinness

Manator, Im sure the client would be happy for the electrical contractor to design their own system it was only suggested to us today that we design it as he has lost faith with contractors to date. As long as they can convince him they know what they are doing I'm sure he would ask us to bow out, he would probably just run a scheme past us to get a reassurance that it was a cost effective way of doing the job, I would not be involved in costs as that is between the client and whoever and I'm not up to scratch on what rates are in London. Are involvement is the automation system and we would just spec the wiring needed for that as we are only looking to second fix the lighting keypads and controllers then programme it.

Sharpend - have you any details of the work you have done and pictures of the work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Last 3 times I have worked in 'That London' I have been near st Pancras. Stayed at a Premier Inn Travel Tavern Lodge thing nearly opposite St Pancras. Advantage was that it had onsite semi secure parking for a few pounds a day extra cost. It may have changed now, but this was the case 2 years ago........... :coat
It is still the same, we used to leave one or two of the vans on the car park and travel in one van, less parking. In some areas of London you can park for up to 4 hours in a slot but have to move it to another bay to continue to pay after the 4 hours are up.

Ian it may be good to give an expected time scale for the works, we do have some members down in the London areas who could help out, but they would have to know what system to install for the lighting and be familiar with it.

Ian it may be good to give an expected time scale for the works, we do have some members down in the London areas who could help out, but they would have to know what system to install for the lighting and be familiar with it.
If anyone is serious then please pm me and Ill talk you through it. Im not subbing this Im simply acting as a go between. All I want is people who work this area to put there details forward so I can forward them onto the client. I don't want to get to involved in it, I have enough on with my element. The light and automation wiring is only a small part of the electrical package and its not going to help anyone if I explain that. It really needs a bit of a chat on a phone to scope out the whole job.

There is no need for them to be familiar with it, as long as they can read a drawing and follow a cable schedule, as they will only be running the cables in for the client, termnation is by us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ian, are you able to indicate when this project is likely to start and the duration it may last from your knowledge? It would enable members to consult their diaries for suitable slots and perhaps prevent you being inundated with pm's which aren't workable. Thanks.

Ian, are you able to indicate when this project is likely to start and the duration it may last from your knowledge? It would enable members to consult their diaries for suitable slots and perhaps prevent you being inundated with pm's which aren't workable. Thanks.
Start is within the next 2-3 weeks and the client is hoping to be open for the 2012 games. Time wise it's pretty much down to how long it would take to do a high spec rewire of a 5 story townhouse, I know how long I would take but I can't specify that because we all work at different staff levels and pace.

9 units, 20 electric underfloor matt zones, 2 air con units, cu on each floor, switches on a data bus, coax to 12 tv's, PIR lighting on landings an ensuites x 9, extract fans in ensuites, all other lighting circuits radial wire back to lighting panel on each floor or possibly one per two floors.

No chopping out all surface, all internal walls are stud, the place is at 1st fix joinery stage, no ceilings, open stud, bare brick outer walls, only sparks and plumbers will be on site for next phase. Plumbing work is minimal as it is all around the wet riser core area.

You wanting it on price or day rate?
Please don't take the following comment the wrong way it's made only because my reputation is at risk if I recommend a fellow forum member. 'please read the full thread!' its this lack of attention to detail that is the difference between you being put before my client or not. I do not want a price or a rate Im not looking to employ anyone.

you know what,

and not only because its not within my work area, cos I'll work anywhere if the price is right,

I wouldnt even start to think about this job, on the post alone its outta my comfort zone,

I wouldnt even know how to start to price this up (barred comments),

if you dont know how to price a job like this up as an everyday thing then you are not the sort of contractor [its too much for a OMB] that ian932 is looking to put to his client.

Latest posts