Working for nice people.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megaohm7

Reaction score
I was called out to look at a pond pump which was not working after the last downpour we had. The owner showed me where the pump was taking it's supply from. A row of commando sockets with trunking covering the entry holes at the top. I tried to remove the plug from it's socket but it was staying put.I then removed the lid on the trunking and saw so much wildlife in there from slugs to woodlice and spiders and noticed it was very damp in there. I said that this needs replacing with a water proof enclosure with rcd protection. he agreed and went back this morning and done just that. There was no earth there either which I soon remedied and got a good Zs reading RCD trip times well in and I was happy.In the mean time this couple were making me cups of tea and at one point it started to rain and the chap stood over me with his umbrella. A very pleasant couple to work for and their pond pump was back in action. Oh and I might get a rewire out of it too. :Y

Doesn't happen very often but these people are out there. You always remember them too. I was fitting a shower t'other week adn the old dear was on the kettle plenty. Made bacon butties at 10 o'clock (Only been there half hour at that point) and at about 12:30 - pizza, chips, home made sausage rolls fresh from the oven and scones fresh from oven for afters. Needless to say when she asked if I could nip back to fit her shower curtain as she wasn't able to and had not managed to purchase one yet........

Well, I'm sure your all thinking I agreed. I went one better and went out and got one for her and fitted iit there and then. The path to my heart IS through my stomach. lol

Had been a long day when phone rang just as I was getting off M6 Cannock can I turn back round a go to subaru parts dealer in west brom power failure affecting whole of site.

Genny not kicked in so get there get genny up and running the find original fault main in coming fuse blown.

So I get on phone to EON for them explain fault and wait for him to come out for them to explain what I believe has happened.

Upon going to leave works director gives me bottle of malt whiskey.

It's nice when that happens, it shows that they appreciate you going that extra mile because you care about things getting sorted.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:30 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:24 ----------

Mate customers that did little things like that make the world go round that much easier and quicker - a shame that this country doesn't have more of them.AndyGuinness
He was ex RAF, so me being a member of the Lincs Lancaster association had plenty to chat to him about. It's nice to have days like that.

chatty, reasonable + understanding customers do wonders for themselves, no problem adding in an extra socket or 2 on a re-wire free of charge, or taking a 20minute look at their dishwasher/alarm/etc.

pain in the arse customers pulling on a price charged for everything.

Thats true Sellers. We did some work at a Chairman of the Board's house, stuck up **** , and his missus , no tea, can yoou use the back entrance etc all that crap. One of his walls was really damp, the sockets were soaked and the back boxes had almost rusted away, caused by the earth in the flower bed outside being banked up well over the dampproof course. Oops!! forgot to tell him .

Next job was rewiring a house for an old dear on her own , not much money, loads of tea and toast. So , two extra sockets she asked for , Oops forgot to charge her , a pull switch over her bed , forgot about that too. Her TV picture was all snowy and sometimes started to roll , " Its been like it for ages , someone said I'm too close to the transmitter"

So a

I was in a posh house on anglesey in the summer (a particularly hot year) had to put extra sockets in a bedroom, sweating like a pig, floorboards up, very snooty lady comes in with a large glass of orange juice with ice and a massive slab of fruit cake. 'Fantastic' I thought. 'How kind and considerate' then she pulled up a chair behind me and sat her big fat backside on it and scoffed the cake and drank the orange. She had decided that she needed to stay there to make sure I did the job properly!

Sorry this thread was about nice people. My observation is that the richer and posher they are the less likely you are to get a panad (cuppa) and the more likely you are to get hassles - ie can't you put it there instead.... etc. The poorer more working class folk will be nicer, make you tea (even bacon and eggs on occasion) be helpful and friendly and leave you to get on with it.

I worked at a place recently where the owner put the kettle on made a cup of tea and stood there and drank it while talking to me. I wouldn't dream of doing that. The first thing I do is offer a drink to anyone that is doing work on my house. I find you get a decent job done as well.

I was in a posh house on anglesey in the summer (a particularly hot year) had to put extra sockets in a bedroom, sweating like a pig, floorboards up, very snooty lady comes in with a large glass of orange juice with ice and a massive slab of fruit cake. 'Fantastic' I thought. 'How kind and considerate' then she pulled up a chair behind me and sat her big fat backside on it and scoffed the cake and drank the orange. She had decided that she needed to stay there to make sure I did the job properly!Sorry this thread was about nice people. My observation is that the richer and posher they are the less likely you are to get a panad (cuppa) and the more likely you are to get hassles - ie can't you put it there instead.... etc. The poorer more working class folk will be nicer, make you tea (even bacon and eggs on occasion) be helpful and friendly and leave you to get on with it.
You are sooooooo right there Your Reverendship.

almost right rev, you can still be rich/fairly well off and working class so to speak.

I find the best type of customers are people who have worked hard for their riches.

I have one customer who, if she is coming home during the day whilst I am there, rings me to see if I want a 'Posh coffee', cookies etc. Gave me a key to come and go as I want. never pesters, never says 'when will.....' Pays within 48 hours of being invoiced.... :coat
think your getting mixed up kerching, thats the misus :slap

a little aside,

but a few years ago when I was more into my engine building than I was making a living I done a lot of work for a young lad who's dad was a very, very well off bloke,

started as a window cleaner and was at this stage a multi rich man,

bought me a

I wish there was more of these people and less of the people who no matter what you do can't seem to please them and like to think they are doing you a favor by giving you their work or problems to fix!

From the OP I took their certificate round with the idea of just posting it through the door ( As it's just up the road from me ) But they see me walking up the path and invited me in anyway. My lad was in the van and they invited him in too. Anyway they were pleased with what I'd done for them and the client and my son had a chat about my son seeking a career in the army when he leaves school. The client gave my son lots of good advice about doing well at school now so you can get a good trade going in the services. ( I'm always trying to drum this into him myself ). I even changed a plug top for him while I was there..With my blessing of course. Could be worth something in advertising alone.