Y Would You Do This

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny7299

Reaction score
So .... we where working in a factory and found countless bits and bobs like this on top of the crawl spaces .. Y !!! 

FullSizeRender_zps6wkuvep9.jpg

i recon there are 30 - 40 like this ha ha ...  some even have black tape round to mask the shoddiness 

Last edited by a moderator:
You used to be able to get "split T" connectors which you could retrofit.

That, or a bit of cunningness with a plastic adaptable box.....drill,the three holes and then cut slots to,top of box. Open the slots, fit wires through .

Make sure the holes are the same size as the minor diameter of the coduit so,it is a tight fit....

It aint brilliant BUT it covers the exposed inulation

Just...having done it in as a last resort

So .... we where working in a factory and found countless bits and bobs like this on top of the crawl spaces .. Y !!!
Easy. (and no, it wasn't me) That was all that they had.

It could be said that even you are guilty of doing something that is easy or just because you can.

The question you asked is spelt W-h-y but yet you chose to just type one letter The letter Y.

I am not saying what they did was right, but often person 1 will question the work of person 2, but never seem to put themselves in person 2's shoes. The actual reason, we will never know, but everyone is guilty at some time or other.

there isn't any excuse for rough work  .... unbeknown to you this was part of a large installation and CEF was only next door . 

Even if you had to do that to get you buy , there is nothing stoping you going back to rectify its just bad planning and bad workmanship . 

ohh and the reason for " Y ' was for comical value 

Easy. (and no, it wasn't me) That was all that they had.

It could be said that even you are guilty of doing something that is easy or just because you can.

The question you asked is spelt W-h-y but yet you chose to just type one letter The letter Y.

I am not saying what they did was right, but often person 1 will question the work of person 2, but never seem to put themselves in person 2's shoes. The actual reason, we will never know, but everyone is guilty at some time or other.
I thought Danny said Y as a play on words / letter to describe the type of joint as in it is shaped like the letter Y and why would you do it. Thought it was a good title myself although I might have read too much into it :)

PS it is indeed shoddy work however.

I must confess I was somewhat bemused by the use if the letter Y in the thread title, as I hate text speak unless in a limited character text message.

However, when I saw the pic of the Y joint, I got the pun, as it were!

there isn't any excuse for rough work  .... unbeknown to you this was part of a large installation and CEF was only next door . 

Even if you had to do that to get you buy , there is nothing stoping you going back to rectify its just bad planning and bad workmanship . 

ohh and the reason for " Y ' was for comical value 
Not wishing to cause an argument, but I do not agree at all, here is why.

They may not have had any money / account with CEF, or may have even been on "stop"

There is lots to stop them going back and correcting their error.

1) No time to go back

2) Still no parts

3) Don't care

4) Big cheese does not know

I favour option 1. The job is done and it costs money to send a person back to correct an error. I am not saying they are right, I am saying it looks like a tin pot company who want to move on to the next job. I used to work for some one like that .I say used to.........i left. (But I was in a position where I could leave with no worries, I can't do that now)

still unacceptable - feeble excuses won't stand up in court ever. Seen far worse, but still wrong.

had a twot today, wanted me to wire 3 phase straight into DNOs consumer head with no meter, 'where's certs from sparkies what wired his shop' says I, 'sparkies have gone back to Sri Lanka' he says, 'go forth and mutiply says I' in polite terms

I never said it will stand up in court. But in reality, it would never go to court just because some flexible conduit was not installed correctly. I am not justifying what was done, just the fact that nothing will be done other than people to moan about it.

As I said, nothing was done, that case was in June 2011. nearly 4 years ago, if more (any one) was prosecuted then would it not be common knowledge?

Although what is shown in the picture is not right, you do not know the circumstances under which it was done, we could go on for ever, but lets not.

I leave you (The reader) With this point.

The poor bloke who was electrocuted, his name was Watts.

As I said, nothing was done, that case was in June 2011. nearly 4 years ago, if more (any one) was prosecuted then would it not be common knowledge?

Although what is shown in the picture is not right, you do not know the circumstances under which it was done, we could go on for ever, but lets not.

I leave you (The reader) With this point.

The poor bloke who was electrocuted, his name was Watts.
These things are not resolved over night, 4 years is not a long time in this sort of case. I know of somebody who survived an electrocution on a major job & the case is still going on nearly 4 years later.

the corporate manslaughter legislation of 2006 could i suppose be used to prosecute the company should anybody receive a fatal shock from shoddy work.

As for the name comment at the end of your post.................just a tad crass in my view.