Zs live Testing - does everyone do it?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On some testers if you do a zs test and its protected by an rcd it trips the rcd, leaving you maybe to change the rcd to a main switch for the rest of the test and then convert to rcd afterwards this is what i remember from my time at college.

Or are there any other easier ways?

This is where calculations might come into effect maybe. Instead of changing all that on every installtion.

kew tech do the lighting adapters 11 pound plus vat each .remeber there a few different fitting to get .

there are a few distributers on ebay but usually charge a little more.

kew tech do the lighting adapters 11 pound plus vat each .remeber there a few different fitting to get .there are a few distributers on ebay but usually charge a little more.
of here

They will sell to non-members and someone online right now can confirm..........

Also another reason someone may not do zs.

They are just lazy f****rs, or don't know what they are doing.

It's the easiest test and possiblly one of the most important, as others have said, it confirms what you have already measured.
Since when did this turn into the SF Forum! Abuse without justification is frankly rather pathetic! Grow up, Cut the superior attitude and fall in line with the rather civilised and informative posts that we normally have!

1) Fully accept that in inspection and testing dead tests must precede live tests. I don't believe this is what is being advocated by many of the posts.

2) I cannot envisage a situation where a low voltage R1 + R2 resistance reading will be lower than a Zs - Ze reading. Quite the reverse. Can anyone state an electrical reason why they think otherwise!

3) Ceiling 10ft up - chandelier fitted by DIY Joe to a lath and plaster ceiling by choc blocks and insulation tape to a system without an earth - I hope you did an R2 or R1 + R2 check before you started a Zs!

4) There is nothing actually wrong with doing a Ze + R1 + R2 reading otherwise it wouldn't be an accepted test technique.

5) I've been looking at this from a PIR point of view. Assuming that mostly lights are pendants and in good condition - no real problem with a Zs. Agree - easy. However so many places with tacky metalic fittings! My compromise is to do R1+R2 at the logical end of the circuit (how do you really know?) and to check R2 at all other points where there are metalic fittings. This to my mind is a compromise that I'm happy with - though obviusly it's not perfect. Can anyoone think of anything better?

6) When having to take a light fitting off to test it - how do you know you haven't introduced a fault when you replace it?

7) Reckon I'll be getting some of those lighting adaptors. Sounds like a good way forward, as no dismantling of the fitting!

This is a forum where we ought to be getting to the heart of electrical matters, learning and agreeing good techniques. Can we please cut the c**p!

(Sorry guys - I've been decorating before the carpet fitter comes on Thursday - and I hate painting! More tolerant mood will be resumed tomorrow (or if the paint job's rubbish - Thursday!)

i agree, please dont lower your selves to s forum attitude. its so refreshing to not have trolls on every post.

keep up the good work . :)

Fully agree with Mr. theglitz`s post above. Furthermore;

It is now recognised that live Zs tests on a lighting circuit can mean getting oneself very clse to live terminals. Ze+R1+R2 is the "preferred" method in these instances.

If a chandelier is fitted on a circuit, and I do not need to remove it, then I won`t. It either has a reading to earth, or it doesn`t. If it doesn`t, I`ll take the reading at a switch, and note it on the cert.

Self-confessed, self-respecting professional sparx; 20+years exp.

No offence intended, but not "just" DI - full contractor (NIC)

KME

The problem is....Croc Clips are garbage.

In my electronics days, we had test leads probes that actually hooked round and held themselves onto wires etc. Try do this with croc clips and they nearly always fall off

My robin tester keeps tripping the mcb so I have to do r1 +r2 and calc the zs

It is ok by the nic to use calcs

My robin tester keeps tripping the mcb so I have to do r1 +r2 and calc the zsIt is ok by the nic to use calcs
I would not be happy with r1+r2 test unless it is really necessary but that is just me.

Batty

The problem is....Croc Clips are garbage.In my electronics days, we had test leads probes that actually hooked round and held themselves onto wires etc. Try do this with croc clips and they nearly always fall off
Have a look at silvertronic leads.

But I have sometimes found loop testing frustrating. using a Metrel meter proabably hasn't helped.

nic recomend only live zs testing on sockets only, the rest r1+r2+ze will do nicely thank you.i slill do zs live.

i would say do zs testing live on sockets and calculate on lighting ze(r1+r2)=zs niciec

recommend due to working live to adire to electricity at work regs .

the problem ive got is that my tester takes forever on rcd non trip for testing zs

also the 3 leads needed .

i would say do zs testing live on sockets and calculate on lighting ze(r1+r2)=zs niciecrecommend due to working live to adire to electricity at work regs .

the problem ive got is that my tester takes forever on rcd non trip for testing zs

also the 3 leads needed .
most testers are slower on non-trip

if your that worried about gettin a shock, get some of these

http://www.insulatedtoolsshop.co.uk/acatalog/ITL_Catalogue_Electricians_Gloves___Gauntlets_82.html

i always do Zs, even if i have just done R1R2

On some testers if you do a zs test and its protected by an rcd it trips the rcd, leaving you maybe to change the rcd to a main switch for the rest of the test and then convert to rcd afterwards this is what i remember from my time at college.Or are there any other easier ways?

Going back to my post a while back what would you do?

Would you change rcd to main switch for the test?

Or can u set it to a higher range will this solve it or will it still trip?

Going back to my post a while back what would you do?Would you change rcd to main switch for the test?

Or can u set it to a higher range will this solve it or will it still trip?
non-trip tester is a good start!

Failing that, i was always taught to bypass RCD whilst test is carried out