Cable Jointing Question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I Would have thought it depended on whether the new bit was a 3 core, 2 core or lead sheath. And whether they had swaeted to the old sheath or not.

I would not have thought that just by looking at a bit of heatshrinkmyouncouod accurately tell,what was inside it

I have seen similar on Lead sheath and the earth has been continued across the joint

Just sayin

Thanks for the replies. That puts my mind at ease a bit.

It did look like a plastic sheath on it, so probably heatshrink.

I couldn't do a Ze due to not being able to disconnect supplies to the flats. Was only fault finding a lighting circuit anyway.

They recently had hot water coming into the property from the water main, and when it rained, the pavement outside remained dry and steamed a bit. So the pavement was dug up and cable fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=medium]I was a convener for the E.E.T.P.U.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Electrical, Electronic, Telecommunications and Plumbing Union[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Early on many cables were paper insulated lead sheathed PILC so the two trades went hand in hand.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]It’s a skill still used today. PILC cables are virtually indestructible, they will stand overloads that would melt a XLPE. Their one failing is absorbing moisture so sealing them is where the skill comes in. I opened a MCC incomer panel and the pitch in the end boxes was liquid. We added a third parallel feed at the next shutdown, I tested the two existing feeds, >1GΩ after 25 years of abuse.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Here’s one I made earlier[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]11KV 95mm² 3c PILC-SWA[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]
11KV-wipe_zpsd508ac7e.jpg
[/SIZE]

Funnily enough I was reading a thread on another forum yesterday where someone had terminated some armouring of the SWA into a streetlight cutout in a similar manner to cries of OMG RAF etc.

Nice one Tony :)

Is it just me, or is burning the pitch out of old endboxes weirdly satisfying? :D
[SIZE=medium]Not when it’s in the back of your mind, “I’ve got to make this off again and I’m going to get filthy”. You can never clean every last bit out.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]We had a transformer 3.3KV box with the bushings weeping oil. Usual trick, ignore it and keep toping the conservator up. Eventually something had to be done. It was getting to be a bit of an environmental disaster area.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]A subsidiary of the DNO did the repair, new bushing and tank gaskets so the top and conservator had to come off. With the top off we found the tap changer had been burning up. That was a quick fix, take it out, short it out. (How often are they ever changed?)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]When it came to refilling the box they used a cold pour gel. I’ll look for the name of it for you, it’s a bit safer than standing on top of the tank with buckets of Trinidite. I’ve used it since but can’t remember the name.[/SIZE]

Funnily enough I was reading a thread on another forum yesterday where someone had terminated some armouring of the SWA into a streetlight cutout in a similar manner to cries of OMG RAF etc.
[SIZE=medium]Do you know anything about MV cable jointing?[/SIZE]