110v tools

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couleddie

Reaction score
A friend recently passed his NICEIC assessment and the assessor told him that he couldn't use 230v power tools in domestic work. Had to be recharge or 110.

Is this complete ballcocks??

Never heard of that one before. Always under the impression 110v just for site use.

Hmm... Certainly this is usually the case for construction site work but plenty of sparks use 230v power tools for other work. It could be argued that 30mA RCD protected 230v is as safe as non-RCD protected 110v (my old boss argued this a lot...). Cordless drills etc have come on a long way in the last few years and many of the sparks I know have replaced most of their 230 & 110 power tools with battery ones & only bring out mains power tools for the heavy stuff like core drilling for extract fans etc.

I'v got my NIC check this afternoon, I'll let you know what he says!!

ive got an 18v cordless, 24v bosche sds and 230v sds rotary stop,hammer,and nonehammer drill for chiselling.

always make sure my drill is rcd protected with a polug in rcd unit if there is no rcd on the customers supply safety first, id say rcd protected 230 is safer than none rcd 110

I believe the 17th Edition now permits the use of 230V equipment on site with suitable RCD protection, however it clearly states that the use of Reduced Low Voltage is STRONGLY PREFERRED.

I believe the 17th Edition now permits the use of 230V equipment on site with suitable RCD protection, however it clearly states that the use of Reduced Low Voltage is STRONGLY PREFERRED.
If this is the case we need a reg!

:D

If this is the case we need a reg! :D
704.410.3.10 a circuit supplying a socket outlet with a rated current upto 32A and any other circuit supplying a hand held electrical equipment shall be protected by

(i) reduced low voltage (reg 411.8) - ie 110v

or

(ii) ADS (section 411), with additional protection by RCD

(iii) + (iv) is selv/pelv etc

also note 704.411.3.1 - TNCS shall not be used except for the supply of a fixed building

in 16th ed, construction sites were stated as 110v for hand tools etc.

A friend recently passed his NICEIC assessment and the assessor told him that he couldn't use 230v power tools in domestic work. Had to be recharge or 110.Is this complete ballcocks??
complain to NIC about him. there is no such reg, and if he doesnt know basics such this, how is he going to assess your knowledge of 7671

why is 110v ok? the touch voltage to earth is more than 50v ie 55v to earth and 110 between

I know 55v is better than 230 but with are told that touch voltage should not exceed 50v

Somebody else poking their bloody long noses into people's affairs, Ooooh yes , sorry Mr NIC man , I'll throw the 240v drill away , rush out and spend another

Without , of course Spinny , also without filling in a risk assessment and won't be filling in 200 forms and notifying the LBC that I have changed a light switch.

Good grief ,all this carp winds me up sometimes, we're not children, If we think we need a mask, or a hard hat we put one on , if we thought a double insulated 240v drill was unsafe on a domestic job we would'nt use it.

Latest posts