17th Edition (C&G 2382) Couple of questions, help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Jud,

Sorry, mate, it was the big red writing in the middle of my quoted post - It seemed like you were shouting at me.

When an RCD is used to comply with the disconnection times in table 41.1 (pg 46), a current of 2 x I delta N is typically used. - see Note 2 underneath the table.

If you then look at Table 3A (pg 243), in the second column, it gives the time that a 30mA RCD will trip in, at 60mA (2 x I delta N), as 150mS (0.15 mS)

As we require a disconnection time of 0.07 for our example, this is to slow.

So we go to the next column along - 150mA (5 x I delta N), which gives a trip time of 40 mS (as we know).

As this is within our disconnection time (70mS), then this is the figure we must use.

:)

Hi Jud,Sorry, mate, it was the big red writing in the middle of my quoted post - It seemed like you were shouting at me.

When an RCD is used to comply with the disconnection times in table 41.1 (pg 46), a current of 2 x I delta N is typically used. - see Note 2 underneath the table.

If you then look at Table 3A (pg 243), in the second column, it gives the time that a 30mA RCD will trip in, at 60mA (2 x I delta N), as 150mS (0.15 mS)

As we require a disconnection time of 0.07 for our example, this is to slow.

So we go to the next column along - 150mA (5 x I delta N), which gives a trip time of 40 mS (as we know).

As this is within our disconnection time (70mS), then this is the figure we must use.

:)
Yeah sorry about the big red writing. I made it a bit bigger and red so you would see it. Didn't mean to shout:Blushing

I get what you're saying now. It's because I was specifically looking for something that said 0.07 seconds.

Never really had reason to look at that table before but now you've explained it I understand it.

Thanks