17th edition lighting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
call out today about bathroom lighting fault, simple enough, nipped&broken switch live in metallic light fitting.

went to isolate and

turned off upstairs lighting at cu...light still live? :|

turned off downstairs lighting at cu...light still live? :|

aha;)

turned off smokes at cu...lights still live? :|

hmmm:|

turn off upstairs ringmain?...light still live? :|

????

turn off shower? ... light still live? :|

ffsX(

turn off heating...light still live? :|

wtfX(

turn off downstairs ringmain...light still live? :|

only one to go!Pray

turn off cooker...lights off!... :|

two years ago customer had new kitchen and bathroom installed, no paperwork obviously!.. cooker circuit on rcd side of split load cu, cooker control in kitchen larder with plug top with 1mm flex going into conduit up by the doorframe up into bathroom airing cupboard above, more conduit into loft for light, quick look in loft and i can see the original batten fitting laying on the insulation, new flex feeding light for what i can only assume was the fitters way of meeting new regs of rcd for each circuit in bathrooms...Applaud Smiley

btw - 13A fuse in plug!

call out today about bathroom lighting fault, simple enough, nipped&broken switch live in metallic light fitting.went to isolate and

aha;)

????

ffsX(

wtfX(

only one to go!Pray

two years ago customer had new kitchen and bathroom installed, no paperwork obviously!.. cooker circuit on rcd side of split load cu, cooker control in kitchen larder with plug top with 1mm flex going into conduit up by the doorframe up into bathroom airing cupboard above, more conduit into loft for light, quick look in loft and i can see the original batten fitting laying on the insulation, new flex feeding light for what i can only assume was the fitters way of meeting new regs of rcd for each circuit in bathrooms...Applaud Smiley

btw - 13A fuse in plug!
oh youve found my install then :^O

seriously though, thats terrible, and i canbot believe that these people get away with stuff like that,

X(X(X(X(X(X(X( X(

call out today about bathroom lighting fault, simple enough, nipped&broken switch live in metallic light fitting.went to isolate and

aha;)

????

ffsX(

wtfX(

only one to go!Pray

btw - 13A fuse in plug!
ffs! :eek:

Of all the circuits for a bathroom light....

yep I think the cooker would rank at the bottom of the list!!! :(

in the word of Victor Meldrew..

I DON'T BELIEEEEEEVE IT!

:eek:

well i have always found it funny how its always the last one you try

whats up with that ?? i have read my onsite guide and it does not say you cant plug your lighting circuit in to a cooker socket. ?

but i would of used a 5 amp fuse for added protection.

whats up with that ?? i have read my onsite guide and it does not say you cant plug your lighting circuit in to a cooker socket. ?but i would of used a 5 amp fuse for added protection.
but the regs also say it should be adequately marked up, which it wasnt

but the regs also say it should be adequately marked up, which it wasnt
sorry andyc, it is a portable appliance, it was plugged in, are all the plugs in your house marked up as to what they do?

ie, TV, DVD, MICROWAVE, etc, just stating the obvious.

I know it was very poor workmanship, but typical DIY. and absolutely totally outside of BS7671, that only applies to hard wired installations.

whats up with that ?? i have read my onsite guide and it does not say you cant plug your lighting circuit in to a cooker socket. ?but i would of used a 5 amp fuse for added protection.
anything that plugs into a standard 13a socket is outside the scope of BS7671 and they do NOT apply

sorry andyc, it is a portable appliance, it was plugged in, are all the plugs in your house marked up as to what they do?ie, TV, DVD, MICROWAVE, etc, just stating the obvious.

I know it was very poor workmanship, but typical DIY. and absolutely totally outside of BS7671, that only applies to hard wired installations.
just because its plugged in doesnt means its not fixed and doesnt come under 7671.

just because its plugged in doesnt means its not fixed and doesnt come under 7671.
if it plugs into a 1362(or whatever it is) then it does NOT come under 7671.

other wise how could a normal person place microwave,washing machine etc in their kitchen? a special location.

it doesnt matter if you screw it to the rafters, if its plugged into a normal 13a socket outlet then its **** all to do with 7671.

if you go to do a periodic and someone is using the lawnmower do you fail cos un antrained person is using a machine without a risk assesment? no, co its nothing to do with you.

if it plugs into a 1362(or whatever it is) then it does NOT come under 7671.other wise how could a normal person place microwave,washing machine etc in their kitchen? a special location.

it doesnt matter if you screw it to the rafters, if its plugged into a normal 13a socket outlet then its **** all to do with 7671.

if you go to do a periodic and someone is using the lawnmower do you fail cos un antrained person is using a machine without a risk assesment? no, co its nothing to do with you.
depends on your version of 'fixed'.

if i had 5x double sockets installed in a room, all chased in properly, but rather than take a feed from FCU, i took a bit flex from a socket and plugged it into another socket, would you still say its a 'portable appliance' and therefore doesnt come under 7671?

so what would then happen if i used a 63A plug/socket between meter and CU. does that mean all house wiring now doesnt come under 7671 because its plugged in?

depends on your version of 'fixed'.if i had 5x double sockets installed in a room, all chased in properly, but rather than take a feed from FCU, i took a bit flex from a socket and plugged it into another socket, would you still say its a 'portable appliance' and therefore doesnt come under 7671?

so what would then happen if i used a 63A plug/socket between meter and CU. does that mean all house wiring now doesnt come under 7671 because its plugged in?
I think you will find that NOTHING comes under BS7671,

its only there to help people that dont understand how to leave an installation safe that by following the instructions inside it you probably wont kill someone by electrocution.

I think probably GAS men that have done a course (no offence JL) would find it more beneficial that a proper electrician that understands the basic principals of something fixed, and something that is not fixed,

ie, if it was plugged out do you plug it in before you test?

I glad your not round mine doing an IR test and making me plug everything in, I always ask clients to plug everything out, then double check myself!