17th edition update

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cirrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have gone into business this week and my business partner doesn't yet hold the 17th edition update.

I have heard that he needs it before the end of the year but who would enforce this (if it can be enforced) and how? He is not keen to take the time or spend the money just yet and it just got me thinking. I am 17th by the way.

I don't know what happens if you don't do it , I have yet to do it although I don't have the slightest inclination to do so.

I believe the "Electric Police" drag you off to be shot if you don't do it.

Hi Evvo.

I beleive The NICEIC require the Q.S to have it by the end of this year at the latest, dont know about other bodies...have you checked with elecsa ?

Yes , its a requirement , apparently . Probably lose my registration . I may just chuck it in , I'll have done 50 years in the trade next year , I haven't decided whether I 'll stick it yet. :C

I am the QS but just wondered what happens if he doesn't upgrade - nothing to do with NIC's view on it, just where he stands.
Why would he not want to upgrade surely he should no what changes are going on unless you tell him I suppose.

As long as he works for you it doesn't matter , he can work under your umbrella but it eventually catches up . My partner hasn't registered with a Part P provider because I have .

As i'm lead to believe if you upgrade to 17th before end of the year you only have to do the update course (usually 1 day with exam). If after year end i think you have to do full course and exam about 4/5 days.

Yes ,in order to do the update course only, as opposed to the full 4 days then you have to have obtained your 16th Ed post 2001.....as Noz has said though, there is nothing stopping you from just taking the exam itself.....bit of bedtime reading for you then eh Noz !

Yes ,in order to do the update course only, as opposed to the full 4 days then you have to have obtained your 16th Ed post 2001.....as Noz has said though, there is nothing stopping you from just taking the exam itself.....bit of bedtime reading for you then eh Noz !
TBH I don't think I will... it's not rocket science;)

Guys based on your posts I can't imagine you will have a problem, if you have the 16th, the 1 day course is all you need. The exam is multiple choice open book exam, you need as I recall better than 66% overall. The major part of the exam is to test if you know where to look in the BRB to find the answer not necessarily if you have the knowledge to back it up.

It simply boils down to the time take and the cost of doing it

Sorry if I've stated the obvious

if u attend an electrical trade show, they pop up all over the country just check out professional electrician magazine, you can often take the exam there and then....

Guys based on your posts I can't imagine you will have a problem, if you have the 16th, the 1 day course is all you need. The exam is multiple choice open book exam, you need as I recall better than 66% overall. The major part of the exam is to test if you know where to look in the BRB to find the answer not necessarily if you have the knowledge to back it up. It simply boils down to the time take and the cost of doing it

Sorry if I've stated the obvious
Depends when you did 16th I had to do a full course as I did my exams before certain date.

personally i wouldn't bother just yet, as the first amendment of the regs is due next june, and according to our niceic area manager it will be a complete re write as regs numbers are changing.

As well as this there will be a new periodic certificate, and new regs on surge protection in properties

Yes , its a requirement , apparently . Probably lose my registration . I may just chuck it in , I'll have done 50 years in the trade next year , I haven't decided whether I 'll stick it yet. :C
just post your certs up to me each week along with a box of beer and I'll sign 'em for you.

Depends when you did 16th I had to do a full course as I did my exams before certain date.
yep, I only had a 15th so needed a 3day course to learn how to use an index apparently.!

if u attend an electrical trade show, they pop up all over the country just check out professional electrician magazine, you can often take the exam there and then....
That is interesting information!

:Applaud :Salute

personally i wouldn't bother just yet, as the first amendment of the regs is due next june, and according to our niceic area manager it will be a complete re write as regs numbers are changing.As well as this there will be a new periodic certificate, and new regs on surge protection in properties
You can read or save the DPC of the Prosposed Ammendment 1 of the BS7671:2008 Here:

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/downloads.php?do=file&id=155

HTH,

Admin.