1960's switchgear

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OzWiz

Reaction score
Had a job interview recently at a large government owned educational site. One of the questions asked was about what promlems one might encounter with 1960's switchgear as they have a fair bit on the site. This is not something i have had much experience with so had to blag it...

I know there will be people here who know what they were after so any info would be of interest...

Cheers...

Didn't think of that at all! Was thinking in terms of worn parts, undersized conductors etc. Thanks!

by the description you give i would have thought the building is riddled with it, so they maybe questioning you to find out if you would consult the asbestos register (which is sumtimes useless) before commencing work.

Another thing to watch out for is colours. Picture the MEM style switchfuses and isolators (other makes too) , the older ones show GREEN when ON and RED when OFF (as traffic lights I guess) Then they were changed around (15th edition I think) to GREEN for OFF (Safe) RED for ON (Danger) .

Could be dangerous if you are suddenly working in an older premises.