2 new spurs on a radial

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apache

Cow Fiddler ™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evening

A little advice, I have 3 rooms upstairs in my house (+ a toilet) and each is served with one double socket! This is a little limiting for the two bedrooms and the 'study'.

My CU was changed 18months ago to a split load dual RCD board.

The upstairs socket is a radial on a 16A MCB wired 2.5mm T&E

I want to run a double socket as a spur in the main bedroom and in the study. I intend to run the cable in trunking until we re-decorate and then I'll sink the cable and the socket into the wall.

The length of the existing cable will be les than 10m

If you as proper sparks were doing this what sort of testing would you carry out? I have a multi-meter and a socket tester. Would it be worth me shelling out hard earned cash and buying a cheap continiuty/IR tester?

Technically this isn't hard - but I want it to be safe!

First bit...

picky mode 'ON':|

If it's a radial?

IMHO it isnt actually a spur.. just an extension of the radail?

you Spur off a ring? do you not?

picky mode 'OFF':D

Hi, Patch, If you just add the socket , the 16 amp MCB will protect your wiring from overloading . I would'nt buy a tester just for that TBH . Just get polarity right ,make sure the earth is connected and terminals are tight. You could load the circuit to nearly 4KW , plenty for bedrooms/study.

Be interesting to see what others say, as a lot of sparks have a problem with radials, but if you are only plugging in IT stuff I don't see a prob.

Deke

We have 1 oil filled radiator at 1.5KW but really it's a couple of bedside clocks, a TV and a lamp or two - no great load.

The house is wired in radials 3 downstairs, 1 up.

My socket tester will ensure correct polarity.

EveningA little advice, I have 3 rooms upstairs in my house (+ a toilet) and each is served with one double socket! This is a little limiting for the two bedrooms and the 'study'.

My CU was changed 18months ago to a split load dual RCD board.

The upstairs socket is a radial on a 16A MCB wired 2.5mm T&E

I want to run a double socket as a spur in the main bedroom and in the study. I intend to run the cable in trunking until we re-decorate and then I'll sink the cable and the socket into the wall.

The length of the existing cable will be les than 10m

If you as proper sparks were doing this what sort of testing would you carry out? I have a multi-meter and a socket tester. Would it be worth me shelling out hard earned cash and buying a cheap continiuty/IR tester?

Technically this isn't hard - but I want it to be safe!
1/ In a bedroom...... NOT notifiable.

2/ NOT new circuit so NOT notifiable.

3/ 16A MCB will provide more than adequate overload protection..

and if you got RCD protection as well shock protection should be OK

4/ So it is all perfectly legal for a DIY-BOB to do it how they want. ; \ :eek:

What ranges has your multi-meter got?

If you really want to IR test it can you borrow / hire one from somewhere?

As a "proper" spark I would do the full testing, but I have the test gear already available!!! ; \ :) at no extra cost!!! :|

will you use that home made cable reel dispenser wot you built???

where did i hear u could not feed multiple rooms with a radial. maybe its bo***cks but got me thinking

where did i hear u could not feed multiple rooms with a radial. maybe its bo***cks but got me thinking
T'was a dream Sparkyt! :)

As long as the circuit is labelled / identified at the CU it can supply where you want...

e.g. radial lighting circuits 1 x upstairs 1 x downstairs:)

My multi-meter goes current 2 - 400A, Resistance 200ohm to 20Mohm, bleeps for continuity.

I'm happy spending a few quid if it makes it safer

We have 1 oil filled radiator at 1.5KW but really it's a couple of bedside clocks, a TV and a lamp or two - no great load. The house is wired in radials 3 downstairs, 1 up.

My socket tester will ensure correct polarity.
Away you go then ,Patch. Now can I ask you a vet type question ? :x

Deke

I even have the test results from the CU change:

R1+R2 0.33ohm

IR L/L 636Mohm

IR L/E 629 Mohm

Zs 0.65

RCD 1X 7ms, RCD 5X 5ms

I even have the test results from the CU change:R1+R2 0.33ohm

IR L/L 636Mohm

IR L/E 629 Mohm

Zs 0.65

RCD 1X 7ms, RCD 5X 5ms
so R1+R2..

0.33ohm @ 19.51mohm/m, 0.33/19.51x1000 = 16.9m

Existing cable should be around 17m long assuming 2.5mm T&E

16A type B MCB max permissible 2.87ohm

at the moment you have 0.65ohm

another 10m is going to add on 0.1951ohm...

so design wise we can say you are going to be safe with your proposed installation method & cable type etc.. blah blah... :) :)

all the IR test is going to do is check you haven't.

a) damaged the cable during installation.

B) used a knackerd second hand bit of cable.

c) left strands of wire / conductive material bridging the cable.

If you really really want to go spend your money...

then do it...

but safety wise I cant see you are going to have any major problems. ;)

it would help the failing economy! :) :^O

Took our 1 yr old Westie for booster jab, vet says the slight brown staining on his feet is a sign of future skin allergy. Asked if we were insured , which startled me a bit. I know Westies can suffer from skin probs. Is there any action we can take to prevent this starting. He has a bit of a chew at his feet sometimes, can't see anything amiss other than the slight brown staining on fur.

Deke

All the browny/pink staining is, is saliva staining the fur! It's nothing to worry about unless he's chewing a lot.

Westies are the WORST breed of dog for skin problems, and some of the treatments can be expensive, probably hence the question!

A low allergy diet, keeping ontop on flea control and possibly feeding evening primrose oil can all help. If he's going to become a typical itchy Westie there's not much you can do!

Is he insured? The expensive product can cost over

so R1+R2..0.33ohm @ 19.51mohm/m, 0.33/19.51x1000 = 16.9m

Existing cable should be around 17m long assuming 2.5mm T&E

16A type B MCB max permissible 2.87ohm

at the moment you have 0.65ohm

another 10m is going to add on 0.1951ohm...

so design wise we can say you are going to be safe with your proposed installation method & cable type etc.. blah blah... :) :)

all the IR test is going to do is check you haven't.

a) damaged the cable during installation.

B) used a knackerd second hand bit of cable.

c) left strands of wire / conductive material bridging the cable.

If you really really want to go spend your money...

then do it...

but safety wise I cant see you are going to have any major problems. ;)

it would help the failing economy! :) :^O
Don't see it's going to gain me a great deal. It's new cable. Might see if I come by anything cheap (tester wise!)!

Thanks for your input :)

All the browny/pink staining is, is saliva staining the fur! It's nothing to worry about unless he's chewing a lot.Westies are the WORST breed of dog for skin problems, and some of the treatments can be expensive, probably hence the question!

A low allergy diet, keeping ontop on flea control and possibly feeding evening primrose oil can all help. If he's going to become a typical itchy Westie there's not much you can do!

Is he insured? The expensive product can cost over