2 way switching advice Please !

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockomuir

Reaction score
Evening all. 

Been to a a job today where I was just changing socket and switches faceplates. There were two 3 gang switches at top and bottom of stairs with 2 of the switches being 2 way. When taking faceplate I discovered that they had used the Cpc for the 3 core. (Deep joy). Told the customer that I would have to rewire which will be a bit of a pig to get to. Worst case I will rewire but someone mentioned radio switches to me like rf.  Is radio switches an realistic option and if so how do they work .

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

One 2 way will be the landing. What is the other 2 way for?

Which one has used the CPC as a strapper?

You can get by with a 2 core strapper IF the switch at the other end has a L feed from the SAME circuit as the first switch. If that is the case some rewiring will sort it without pulling a new 3 core in.

As Dave says  ,   if you can tell us what the 3 switches do , there may be a way round it .  

Mr Clever Cloggs  Eh ! using the earth as a live   :C      

When , say , you can't get down to the switch without major damage  , but theres a feed and a loop feed  ....a J/B in the floor sorts the loop feed out and you have a spare core  to use  as a strapper .  

Thought I had replied last night but  it obviously has not posted. One of the 2 gang switches controls downstairs hall, the other is two way for upstairs hall. Third switch is outside light  The lights are on different circuits and are wired loop in method to ceiling rose, with just s/l in switch 

Hope me that makes it a bit clearer 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought I had replied last night but  it obviously has not posted. One of the 2 gang switches controls downstairs hall, the other is two way for upstairs hall. Third switch is outside light  The lights are on different circuits and are wired loop in method to ceiling rose, with just s/l in switch 

Hope me that makes it a bit clearer 
Which one has the CPC used as a strapper?

Do both the strappers go the same way out of the switch, i,e, up into the loft, or down and under the floorboards?

Latest posts