2330 Level 2 Safe Isolation Assignment

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeánH

Reaction score
Ive got the above assignment to do, and I have to write a method statement for the safe Isolation and replacement of a shower, ie isolate supply of power, and have a plumber isolate water etc

Basically i dont know where to start, If someone could help steer me in the right direction it would be much appreciated

Regards

Sean

try it in google but any good electrical book should tell you how to go on.

Key points you need to consider and write into your assignment IHMO are:-

1/ Identify the circuit you need to isolate and where its isolation point is located.

2/ Verify with occupier / user / customer that it is convent to isolate, advise them what you are going to do.

3/ Check the circuit is live by putting your "approved voltage tester" on the appropriate terminals.

4/ Turn off and isolate circuit.

5/ Lock off relevant switches / isolators to prevent accidental energising!.

6/ Verify that the circuit is now dead. i.e. No voltages on ANY conductor. (Test across all combinations L-N, L-E, N-E).

7/ Verify that your approved voltage detection instrument is still working with; preferably a proving unit, or a known live source. (such as incoming supply on domestic single phase is also consider acceptable).

8/ Do the work.

9/ Keep circuit fully locked off until ALL contractors have completed their work around the circuit, (e.g. has the plumber finished as well!)

10/ Preferably a multi padlock hasp should be used to allow each contractor to have his/her own padlock with unique key.

11/ When all contractors have finished, (and all electrical dead tests are ok), re-energise circuit and complete live tests relevant to changes carried out.

12/ Have a cup of tea while you write out your certificates.

Job Done!

And this is Exactly how we ALWAYS do our jobs!

Key points you need to consider and write into your assignment IHMO are:-1/ Identify the circuit you need to isolate and where its isolation point is located.

2/ Verify with occupier / user / customer that it is convent to isolate, advise them what you are going to do.

3/ Advise the customer that it may be required to turn off all of the electric and they may want to put the kettle on now before you start work. Hint hint cup of tea with one sugar please:D

4/ Check the circuit is live by putting your "approved voltage tester" on the appropriate terminals.

5/ Turn off and isolate circuit.

6/ Lock off relevant switches / isolators to prevent accidental energising!.

7/ Verify that the circuit is now dead. i.e. No voltages on ANY conductor. (Test across all combinations L-N, L-E, N-E).

8/ Verify that your approved voltage detection instrument is still working with; preferably a proving unit, or a known live source. (such as incoming supply on domestic single phase is also consider acceptable).

9/ Do the work.

10/ Keep circuit fully locked off until ALL contractors have completed their work around the circuit, (e.g. has the plumber finished as well!)

11/ Preferably a multi padlock hasp should be used to allow each contractor to have his/her own padlock with unique key.

12/ When all contractors have finished, (and all electrical dead tests are ok), re-energise circuit and complete live tests relevant to changes carried out.

13/ Have another cup of tea while you write out your certificates;)

Job Done!

And this is Exactly how we ALWAYS do our jobs!
On a serious note Vinnie, try this link from the Electrical Safety council, there are also some good flow charts to look at from page 17 which should help you

http://www.esc.org.uk/pdfs/business-and-community/electrical-industry/BPG2_09.pdf

i thought safe isolation meant sticking your fingers across the live and earth :^O :^O and Pray ing :^O :^O:^O:^O:^O ill get my :coat (im joking), safe isolation does not mean sticking your fingers across the live and earth or neutral use a TESTER :coat