2391 practical tips.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madeinengland

Reaction score
hi guys have just been informed that my 2391 practical assessment is next week. anybody got any tips or things to look out for.what exactly is involved???has anybody taken it in the last few weeks?

cheers.

Assessment 1, Visual Inspection, find 12 deviations from BS7671:2008 in 30 mins

Assessment 2, IR testing, find 2 seperate faults & identify type (dead short or low resistance) 20 mins

Assessment 3, Earth loop, 2 tests & indentify max acceptable reading (applying rule of thumb) & state pass/fail 10 mins

Assessment 4, Peridic of TP&N db with single phase sub-board, 2 hours

As for tips foir assessment 4 read GN3, revise sequence of testing etc. Make sure you test circuits for continuity to furthest point, IR test all conductors, don't do anything daft or dangerous and get the paperwork right.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Brian157, correct me if I'm wrong, but because assessment 4 is a PIR, you don't need to worry about the correct sequence of tests. Isn't there something in the paperwork about only being able to isolate the supply for a certain amount of time?

Madeinengland, don't worry too much about the practical, the first 3 assessments are not too bad and the PIR is only difficult if you get into a flap!

As Brian157 says, read GN3 and go through the testing in the OSG and you'll be fine.

Have fun!

Thanks Philbas, that what I meant I think.

Brian157, correct me if I'm wrong, but because assessment 4 is a PIR, you don't need to worry about the correct sequence of tests. Isn't there something in the paperwork about only being able to isolate the supply for a certain amount of time?Madeinengland, don't worry too much about the practical, the first 3 assessments are not too bad and the PIR is only difficult if you get into a flap!

As Brian157 says, read GN3 and go through the testing in the OSG and you'll be fine.

Have fun!
Ali, there are supposedly no records for the installation in assessment 4 so it's a PIR with initial verification so the assessors paperwork (C&G marking spec) has the tests in sequence. Candidates are expected to safely isolate at the begining, carry out all "dead" tests then energise prior to live testing, they're also supposed to seek permission to isolate and energise.

Thanks Brian157. Thank goodness mines is over and done with. I think I must have done the tests in the right order, but I'm not sure I meant to!!

I've not long passed my 2391 practical and the best advice is not to flap and remember safe isolation. I was doing a fair amount of testing leading up to the exam and that did help a lot. Fill out your paperwork as you go along, remember to throw the 2 way switches when doing IR tests and ask permission to go live!! Get the live tests out of the way and don't forget to press the test button on the RCD when doing function tests, complete the remaining paperwork and hope you've passed..

Hi

Have taken my theory, have practical in May but not done much practical inspection and testing, especially 3 phase. College did not do much practical, was mostly theory, are there any places or training centres that could run you through a mock practical or at least show you more

I am in north yorkshire

Cheers

The guilds expects you to be reasonably up to speed with the testing which does cause a few concerns to people who's main work is domestic. Do you own any test instruments?. Testing your own house for example will give you some insight to whats involved. Safe isolation is all important too. GN3 will help you too for this part.

yeah, metrel easi-plus, i know what to do on domestic, but no experience of 3 phase, and sub main boards running from them etc and also the three phase motor, contactors etc

Could do with a day in an environment set up like the test rig will be

The college practical training was very poor

Sequence of testing is a debatable subject for a PIR, and the exam whilst basic is often stuck on procedure. I personally see nothing wrong in doing any live tests before disconnection and safe isolation. It is often quicker and can highlight problems before the nitty gritty sets in. However if you do the test in any order than that laid down, you must be confident to explain to the assessor your reasoning. I doubt if your experienced he could argue with your logic. It is after all a PIR, and not an initial verification.

when I done 2391, a while back mind, the assessor knew we were all practising sparks of a good few years(10 years was the least experienced guy) and kinda let us do our own thing.

a lot would depend on the assessor I think, and the group you are in, ie, experienced or not.

when testing insulation resistance should you remove or bridge out the RCD?

Tutor said dont for RCDs but do remove RCBO's

Or should you just test line and neutral combined to earth?

I was quite happy to have found 12 faults in about 15 minutes but then I was told that 4 of them were due to the previous course not having put back the wires correctly. The one that took me the most time was a 2.5 radial on a 32A breaker. Sometimes you can look but still not see.

Cheers. Chris