2D Emergency lighting bulkheads

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gselectrical

Reaction score
Afternoon all.

I installed a few maintained emergency lighting bulkheads at a school I carry out maintenance at a few weeks ago.

Originally they all worked fine.

I returned yesterday to be told that a number of them had stopped working.

Had a look, they seem to work fine when power is isolated (in emergency state) but under normal operation the lamp just flickers slightly and fails to start. Have replaced all lamps (28W 2D 4 Pin), and checked supply at switched side. Surely they cant all have failed. The control gear is HF electronic so replacing this will cost not far off the price of the fitting.

Anybody experienced the same? Any suggestions on what could have caused this welcome.

I have added a link to the fittings below (TLC)

Cheers

GS

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TPB28WOEMHF.html

Have you measured what voltage you have when it's in normal mode? is the supply ok? Could be a control gear fault? Could be worth giving the manufacturer a ring just to enquire first as it does seem unusual for a few of them to be playing up. I fitted one yesterday and it didn't work?? until I realised much to my relief and embarrassment that I forgot to connect the perm live. I blamed it on being cold?? :p

Have you measured what voltage you have when it's in normal mode? is the supply ok? Could be a control gear fault? Could be worth giving the manufacturer a ring just to enquire first as it does seem unusual for a few of them to be playing up. I fitted one yesterday and it didn't work?? until I realised much to my relief and embarrassment that I forgot to connect the perm live. I blamed it on being cold?? :p
Cheers

Yer, measured voltage during normal use. 230v perm-N, 230v S/L-N.

I dont think Id be able to send them back anyway. Ordered them ages ago, but fitted recently.

Debating what make to replace them with. Need to be 28w 2D, opal, round, white fittings.

GS

It may be the gear ,GS , are there some switch start fluoros on the circuit ? These can bugga up HF control gear , they don't recommend mixing them.

Also I have had a lot of HF gear go faulty , Tridonlc I think it was.

Your quite right Deke, switch start Florie's on the same circuit can very well bugga those HF units. Temperamental those HF controllers, can last 5 minutes or the life of the fitting. more often than not their life isn't too long at all!!! ....And they have the cheek to call these controllers progress ...huh!!!

It may be the gear ,GS , are there some switch start fluoros on the circuit ? These can bugga up HF control gear , they don't recommend mixing them. Also I have had a lot of HF gear go faulty , Tridonlc I think it was.
Very good point. There are a sh1t load of switch start fluros on these circuits. Right looks like I need some of these. Anybody recommend any? (28W 2D, Round, Opel, white)

Cheers

Does Tamlite do them? I think Edmundsons stock them. The ones I've seen recently have been electronic ones but with the old starter types still in use surely there must be wholesalers that stock them .

Take them back mate! Tell them they've only been fitted a few weeks. gear should last for years without problems if installed correctly!

My local wholesalers take most things back, even if it may not have been their fault, they will only go and send it back to the manufacturer and get a refund from them.

Take them back mate! Tell them they've only been fitted a few weeks. gear should last for years without problems if installed correctly! My local wholesalers take most things back, even if it may not have been their fault, they will only go and send it back to the manufacturer and get a refund from them.
They where from TLC (online) mate. Ill probably struggle to get them to accept them seen as the invoice is 6 weeks old.

This is a well known problem with the 28w. Although its usually only with replacement lamps. Did your fittings come with lamps or did you purchase them separately
They came with their own lamps. I've tried replacing these, with no joy.

Cheers.

Right off to work! Hate working Sundays!

Quote from TLC t&c.

8. If any goods sold by the Company are proved to be defective, (provided they are returned within 7 days from the date of delivery, or where the defect was not apparent on reasonable inspection within a reasonable time after discovery of the defect) and the Company is satisfied that such defect is not as a result of damage, misuse or incorrect installation by the buyer the Company shall at its sole discretion and subject to satisfactory proof of purchase either: a) Arrange for the goods to be repaired at no cost to the buyer; or

B) Replace the goods (or the part in question) ; or

c) Refund to the buyer the price of the goods (or a proportionate part of the price)

and in any case the Company shall have no further liability to the buyer. The statutory rights of the Buyer are not affected.

I would say they should be returned but you would need to read manufacturers instructions as it might say not suitable on circuits with florescents or something like that , if not then they are defective, if it does then they have been installed incorrectly.

Ive had a good search around the net and most I have found seem to be the same as the TLC ones ! !

http://www.eterna-lighting.co.uk/productinfo.asp?product=CO28WHEM3

This could be the manufacturers maybe a call into tech department ?

Sorry I cannot be of more help

Does Tamlite do them? I think Edmundsons stock them. The ones I've seen recently have been electronic ones but with the old starter types still in use surely there must be wholesalers that stock them .
Eddys don't stock Tams*** as they are CEF/Neweys own make as I have been informed by my local Eddys guy.

I fitted 15 fern howard 28w HF EM lights over christmas, I had one faulty straight out the box, one faulty one day after being installed and one with a smashed lamp in the box. Wholesalers happily swapped the faulty units lending me ones tills I returned the faulty ones.

I wasnt too disappointed with that.