3 live wires from socket RCD

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pmm

Reaction score
Hi, I have 3 live wires from one socket rcd in my consumer box, does this mean I have a ring circuit and one radial? I’d expect an even number of live wires?image.jpg

I fear it’s powering a 70s loft conversion with 5 double sockets and a heater from a single 2.5mm cable

What rating is the MCB? If 32A then the situation as you describe would be wrong

Those cables are probably circa mid 60s.

Imperial sized cables were used upto somewhere around 70/71 but at somepoint they stopped tinning it, which was a hangover from rubber insulation and they realised no longer necessary with PVC. Conversly its not much before 1960 otherwise they actually would be rubber.

What rating is the MCB? If 32A then the situation as you describe would be wrong

Those cables are probably circa mid 60s.

Imperial sized cables were used upto somewhere around 70/71 but at somepoint they stopped tinning it, which was a hangover from rubber insulation and they realised no longer necessary with PVC. Conversly its not much before 1960 otherwise they actually would be rubber.
It’s 32A.

I fear it’s powering a 70s loft conversion with 5 double sockets and a heater from a single 2.5mm cable
The only way you will find out is with some basic testing. Do you have any form of test meter, even a simple multimeter?

If it turns out to be radials, it really wants a smaller MCB or splitting onto multiple smaller MCB's. Any spare ways in your consumer unit?

Do you have an RCD or more than one in the CU? Picture of whole CU please.

The only way you will find out is with some basic testing. Do you have any form of test meter, even a simple multimeter?

If it turns out to be radials, it really wants a smaller MCB or splitting onto multiple smaller MCB's. Any spare ways in your consumer unit?

Do you have an RCD or more than one in the CU? Picture of whole CU please.
image.jpg

What are you trying to achieve / determine?
If the cable to my 70s loft conversion which originally had one socket is safe for the 5 double sockets plus heater which it now has… I’ve had a look at the wiring up to the loft conversion and can only see one cable for sockets and all sockets are linked from the original socket

If the cable to my 70s loft conversion which originally had one socket is safe for the 5 double sockets plus heater which it now has… I’ve had a look at the wiring up to the loft conversion and can only see one cable for sockets and all sockets are linked from the original socket
First you need to determine what the THREE red cables from the MCB do.

Turn off the power, remove all three from the MCB and check with the multimeter if any of them show continuity from one to another. If they don't then connect them one at a time to the MCB, and with everything else on the CU switched off go and see what works. That will tell you what each of the three cables feeds, then you can make a plan for how to improve it.

If any 2 show continuity between them report the findings back here before trying that test.

That doesn’t answer my question

What are your trying to do ?

First you need to determine what the THREE red cables from the MCB do.

Turn off the power, remove all three from the MCB and check with the multimeter if any of them show continuity from one to another. If they don't then connect them one at a time to the MCB, and with everything else on the CU switched off go and see what works. That will tell you what each of the three cables feeds, then you can make a plan for how to improve it.

If any 2 show continuity between them report the findings back here before trying that test.

Really need to test the neutrals and earths as well...
As it could be a broken ring..

32A is standard protecton for a ring circuit, radial circuits should have 20A protection. This is to protect the wires. The ring circuit will be 2 sets of 2.5mm wires which together, are rated higher than 32A. Single 2.5mm twin and earth on a radial circuit is rated higher than 20A.

The problem is that if you have a radial circuit in the loft, that pulls off more than 20A, e.g. 13 amps for a heater and say 13 amps for a kettle then 3 amps for a TV, this is less than 32A so the breaker doesn't activate. But it is more than the maximum rating of 2.5mm twin and earth (usually 27 amps depending on how it is installed.) The result is that the cable can overheat, burn out and start a fire.

A work around could be to down-rate the breaker to 20A.

This all said, I think you would be well advised to call out an electrician to do some testing for you to find out what exactly is going on and ensure everything is safe. Hope that helps.